- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
For the last 31 consecutive years, the Controller's Office has received the Government Finance Officers Association Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. We work hard to maintain the high standards that our customers expect of us and uphold the City's reputation for strong financial management.
This accounting position is within the Controller's Office of the Finance Department. The Controller's Office is responsible for accounting and financial reporting, vendor and employee payments, grant management assistance, and internal financial controls. We strive to be good stewards of public resources and public trust by providing timely, accurate and professional financial services to both our internal and external customers.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the preparation of the City's annual comprehensive financial report that is used by all levels of management, bond rating agencies, investors and citizens
- Assists with the preparation for the external audit as well as providing on-going documentation and support during audit fieldwork.
- Prepares work papers, reconciliations, statements and schedules and reviews those prepared by co-workers and other internal staff
- Reconciles and analyzes assigned fund activity including analytical reviews and funds available analysis
- Prepares and analyzes reports and projections for management review
- Balances and maintains assigned general ledger accounts
- Provides grants management assistance to departments, performs grants analysis as needed and assists in the City's annual single audit
- Identifies, researches and resolves accounting related concerns and issues independently or as part of a team, assists in developing controls and providing recommendations to improve accounting processes
- Prepares fund financial statements
- Prepares and completes special projects and reports independently as well as coordinates and participates in the work of special project teams
- Provides training and guidance to city staff on accounting and accounting system matters
- May review the work of others
- Assists in developing work goals and objectives including prioritization of workload to meet goals and objectives
- Assists in interpretation and implementation of authoritative pronouncements
- Assists in on-going systems development including utilization of data through reporting tools and periodic software update testing and/or implementation of the City's ERP system as well as auxiliary systems that support the ERP system
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
WHAT IS IN IT FOR YOU
- Opportunity to work in a collaborative work environment
- Competitive total compensation package with extensive benefits (click on the next tab to view a summary of the City's benefits)
- Work life balance
- On-site fitness center and numerous wellness programs
- Paid holidays and paid leave time
- Volunteer opportunities in a diverse community
- Tuition reimbursement
- Internal and external educational opportunities to assist with career advancement
- Invest in your future through well-funded pension plans and 457 offerings
- Employee recognition programs and awards
- We love our veterans! For veterans preference, please attach your DD214
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field
- At least 5 years of related accounting and/or auditing experience
In addition, our ideal candidate must possess:
- Extensive experience in automated financial systems
- Strong skills in other financial related software packages including spreadsheet design (Excel preferred), word processing (Word preferred) and other Microsoft based products
- Report writing software experience a plus (Cognos preferred but not required)
- The ability to utilize systems and data proficiently
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and internal customers
- The ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with different personalities, various levels of management, and a diverse team
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU STAND ABOVE THE REST
- State or local government experience
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Government Auditor
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift 10 pounds with or without assistance; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Vision for reading, interpreting reports, and preparation of data analysis
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment with a highly engaged team of finance professionals
- Personal computer and standard office equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.