After School Leader - Youth Development
- Summary of Job Duties
- Hourly Pay: $15.00Estimated average hours per week: 12-16
Hours between 2:00 pm - 6:00 pmThis position earns sick leave in accordance with the Healthy Families and Workplace Act.This is a part-time position that does not provide medical benefitsTHE POSITION
The City of Aurora is seeking part-time, Afterschool Leaders; who will plan, organize, and implement activities that reflect the interests of the youth for elementary school students in an afterschool program (COMPASS). They will be responsible to incorporate youth and character development principles in all activities, ensuring a safe and positive environment for youth-by providing guidance and discipline, and to maintain care for applicable equipment and supplies.
At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our work by modeling the Core 4 Values of Customer Service, Professionalism, Integrity, and Respect - we welcome all who share those values to apply.
This is a continuous position and will be closed when all positions are filled. Applications will be sent to the hiring Supervisor twice a week for review.
Selected applicants will be required to pass a background check, an FBI fingerprint background check, and a drug test as a condition of employment.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and implement activities with groups of students during after school programming hours (between the hours of 2:00-6:00 p.m.)
- Plan and prepare supply lists
- Provide a safe and fun environment
- Implement behavioral management techniques to maintain proper student behavior.
- Assist with distribution of snacks
- Set up/tear down a classroom as needed
- Maintain regular workplace housekeeping practices; including routine cleaning and disinfection of surfaces and equipment, and other elements of the learning environment, throughout the program
- Perform other duties as assigned
- This job will report to the Afterschool Program Coordinator.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Some experience in education, sports and athletics, fine arts, recreation and/or youth development preferred.
Knowledge: Basic knowledge of youth development, nutrition, sports, and recreation
programming for elementary and/or middle school students.
Skills: Organizational and communication skills. Fluency in Spanish language preferred but not required.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Reliable transportation to work sites,trainings, and events as needed.
- Valid Driver's License Preferred
- Certification in First Aid and CPR Preferred.
- This position will allow the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Primarily physical and active work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds; lifting, carrying, walking, and standing; the vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information; frequent speech communication with fellow employees and City of Aurora citizens.
Work Environment: Works primarily in public school buildings, recreation facilities, and/or outside in parks.
Equipment Used: May use standard office equipment including, computers, calculators,
copy/fax machines; may answer the telephone.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment histories, including military service, and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.