Arborist Crew Leader - Forestry
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Hiring pay for this position is $21.69 - $25.99
Full salary range for this position is $21.69 - $30.30City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This position serves as lead worker over an assigned crew of maintenance workers engaged in skilled tree maintenance programs.
- Plans and/or assigns work operations
- Maintains records and reports and equipment
- Trains assigned personnel
- Plants and cares for plant material
- Operates machinery needed in the maintenance of trees including aerial lift operation
- Climbs trees to perform maintenance work using industry accepted rope and saddle techniques
- Follows preservation guidelines and practices protective procedures on trees
- Maintains equipment and landscape systems
- Runs tests, troubleshoots, coordinates contractor and volunteer service work
- Assists with public relations projects, and helps resolve citizen complaints
- May perform and/or direct snow removal activities and 24 hour emergency storm response activities
- May also be required to operate heavy equipment
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: High School Diploma or GED. College-level coursework in horticulture or arboricultural and/or industry certification is preferred.
Experience: At least 4 years progressively responsible experience related to urban forestry, including at least 1 year supervisory or lead worker experience.Must have tree climbing skills with a rope and saddle.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of methods and processes to nurture and maintain trees. Knowledge of hazards and safety practices common to tree preservation programs.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; ability to organize, coordinate, and direct the work of others; ability to work in unpleasant and sometimes hazardous conditions.
Skills: Skill in monitoring the work of assigned personnel.
Licenses, Certificates, or Equipment Required:
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- Ability to obtain Class B Colorado Commercial Driver's License with tanker certification within 60 days of hire.
- Required to have completed or begin defensive driving and CPR and First Aid certification within six months of hire.
- Must obtain ISA Certified Arborist certification within 6 months.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical work depending on assigned function; heavy physical work requiring the ability to frequently lift up to 50 pounds with or without assistance and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds; considerable walking and standing; frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body motion including pushing, pulling, bending, stooping/crouching, and climbing; considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles; speech communication to give instructions and information to employees; vision to read manuals and gauges and operate equipment; hearing/listening for instructions, troubleshooting, and warning signals.
Work Environment: Works primarily outdoors in both hot and cold weather with exposure to noise, dust, and chemicals.Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
Equipment Used: Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment common to urban forestry, maintenance; operates vehicles such as dump trucks and tractors, and aerial bucket trucks.
_________________________________________________________________________________For Veterans preferences: Please show all of your employment histories, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.