Budget Analyst I, II
- Summary of Job Duties
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is 27.18 - $33.27
The salary range for this position is $27.18 - $39.36
All applications must include a resume and cover letter.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we’re growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. The values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. Successful organizations achieve great things because they have strong core values. As an employee, you can expect to uphold our values of integrity, respect, professionalism and customer service.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Growing, diverse city
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and access to excellent system of trails
- Remote working options
As a member of the Budget Office team, the employee will perform a variety of complex analytical and administrative functions to include: financial planning and control; budget development, monitoring and control; position control and budgeting; performance measurement and monitoring; programmatic review; and organizational structure. This position will work closely with the Financial Systems Analyst and be responsible for certain technical budget system duties. The ideal candidate will be an experienced team-player who is detail oriented, analytical and self-motivated. Although an experienced candidate is preferred, varying experience levels will be considered.
The Office of Budget and Financial Planning
The Office of Budget and Financial Planning is a division of the Finance Department. Our office manages the annual budget development process, provides citywide budget guidance, and provides analysis, research, and special project support across the organization. Our work is highly visible as we work with varying departments and varying levels of staff/management. We are a high-performing, hard-working group that likes to have fun. We are currently looking for a personable and qualified professional to join the team.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates, researches, analyzes, develops, and reviews recommendations for budgeting, operations, financial planning, organizational analysis, policy formulation, performance measures, and service delivery
- Works with the Financial Systems Analyst on MS Access budget system administration, position control and modeling, and system design testing
- Identifies and facilitates budget adjustments as necessary
- Monitors citywide position budgets and makes adjustments as necessary
- Works with other budget staff and/or works independently to coordinate and facilitate the development of department and division budgets
- Acts as a liaison to City financial divisions in monitoring accounts and financial reports
- Provides research information, resolution recommendations, and follow-up regarding control and budget issues
- Provides administrative and budget assistance to departmental management and budget coordinators
- Performs analysis of departmental expenditures and revenues against evaluation criteria
- Assists in fund management
- Prepares and reviews various technical and financial reports
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Bachelor's Degree in finance, business administration, business technology, economics, or directly related field with comparable research and analytical focus. Master's Degree preferred.
- At least 1 year of progressively responsible analytical/administrative experience in areas such as control of complex budgets, financial analysis, productivity improvements, work systems review, and complex spreadsheet development. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. 2 or more years of experience in effective budget and financial analysis for a governmental agency (state, county or local level) preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of finance and budgeting; methods, techniques, and processes including budgeting and accounting; personal computers, and related word processing, spreadsheet (advanced level), data base, and presentation software applications. MS Access management/ development and SQL experience preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens, and elected officials; handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing; establish and fulfill goals and objectives develop and implement complex financial budget analysis; prepare and deliver presentations that summarize analysis
- Ability to work independently or in teams to complete assignments.
- Excellent written communication skills preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, verbal, and written communication skills; excellent skills in the use of the computer including advanced spreadsheet design, word processing, and presentation creation. Experience with database management and development preferred.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds.
- Occasional walking and standing.
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents.
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment.
- Occasional remote working may be required.
- This position requires the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. computer, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.