Building Compliance Specialist - Permit Technician
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The City of Aurora Building Division is a division of Public Works. The Building Division has three primary areas, the Permit Center, Building Plans Review and Building Inspections. Our Staff is dedicated to providing our customers with exceptional project services in the areas of building plan review, permits, and inspections. Our goal is to ensure safe buildings and properties for our citizens through a collaborative working relationship with our construction partners.
The City of Aurora is seeking a Building Compliance Specialist to perform front-end management for issuing permits for the Permit Center under the Public Works Department. Combined areas include the Building Division, Public Improvements, and Zoning requirements. This position will require public contact with an emphasis on customer service.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan Review for code compliance, plans tracking
- Computer data entry/retrieval functions
- Researches, prepares, examines and processes construction documents and applications for building permits
- Performs and approves building construction plans for code compliance
- Verifies setbacks ensuring compliance with the zoning code
- Utilizes independent discretion to provide high volume of telephone and in person interactions with the public for technical code interpretation inquiries and assistance
- Calculates building permit valuations
- Administers competency building trade testing and issues contractor licenses
- Accurately routes and tracks plans and permits for commercial and residential buildings
- Maintains/updates electronic records daily for building plans and permits, building inspections, code records requests; electronic scanning of documents
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, preferred
- Additional training, experience and certification as a Permit Technician through the International Code Council is required to obtain a Permit Technician II status.
- Supplementary ICC certification, training, coursework, and experience is required to obtain the Permit Technician III status.
- 2 years of related experience including the technical phases of residential and commercial building construction
- Knowledge and application of construction materials, municipal and building codes, and procedures.
- Knowledge of mathematics including algebra and geometry.
- Knowledge of personal computers with related software applications with a windows operating system.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of construction methods and systems
- Independently read and interpret construction documents, and maps in relation to the tasks of the job.
- Skill in the operation of a computer system with related software.
- Efficiently and accurately key information using a keyboard and skill in performing data entry
Licenses and Certifications: As assigned, specialized certifications may be required such as:
- Required licenses and/or certification in the following code areas for a Permit Technician II; ICC Permit Technician Certification.
- Required licenses and/or certification in the following code areas for a Permit Technician III; ICC Permit Technician and one of the following; ICC Residential Plans Examiner R3, ICC Plan Examiner, ICC Building Inspector B1, B2, B3.
- Working Conditions
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds.
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and frequent standing at a counter.
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and general office equipment.
- Vision to read and interpret reports, documents, and other written material.
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machines.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.