Building Compliance Technician
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
The Building Compliance Technician position for Public Works provides comprehensive customer service, in a call center environment for the City of Aurora's Permit Center by acting as the direct point of contact between the City of Aurora Building Division and internal and external stakeholders. This position requires outstanding verbal and written communication skills along with the ability to receive, process, and respond to Building, Zoning, and Public Improvement inquires. The Building Compliance Technician will perform clerical tasks for the Permit Center including data entry into AMANDA software, telephone coverage, live chat, filing, scanning, and scheduling of appointments.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the general public and developers by phone and Live Chat to determine permit requirements for all Building, Planning, and Licensing applications; directing calls to proper personnel
- Provides complete and accurate information to customers, which may involve explaining applicable regulations, policies, procedures or standards based on a comprehensive knowledge of city procedures and services
- Acts as a liaison between the customer and department or agency staff by following up on customer requests or complaints and solving problems related to service issues
- Entering all inspection requests and giving ETA's for inspector arrivals into permitting software
- Responsible for reviewing records and reports submitted by applicants for accuracy and completion
- Responsible for requesting and collecting permit data
- Responsible for the Building Inspector's daily files for inspections, scheduling
appointments, including processing all paperwork for the Inspector's site visits
- Maintains/updates electronic records daily for building plans, contractor licensing, and permits, building inspections, code records requests; electronic scanning of various documents
- Perform other related duties as required
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree or directly related field experience preferred
- Two years' experience in dealing with the general public in service capacity
- One year experience in responsible office work; construction-related work preferred
- Knowledge of general office procedures, telephone etiquette, and demonstrate the ability to efficiently and effectively create and produce quality detailed work with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Independently read and interpret construction documents, and maps in relation to the tasks of the job
- Skill in the operation of a computer system with related software
- Efficiently and accurately key information using a keyboard and skill in performing data entry
Licenses. Certifications, and Equipment Required:
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 20 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate office equipment
- Vision for reading, recording and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including typewriters, computers, calculators and copy/fax machines; frequently answers telephone.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.