Building Plans Examiner
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $53,538.00 - $69,210.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $53,538.00 - $81,883.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect,Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Public Works Building Division performs plans review, inspections, and permitting for new construction, remodeling, and repairs. We are proud to be Colorado's only IAS accredited building division.**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents perform professional work examining and reviewing plans, specifications and other documents for the construction of buildings and/or remodeling, additions and alterations for compliance with building codes.
Responsibilities may include:
- Plan review tasks; pre-submittal guidance on major projects
- Records and maintains files of code interpretations
- Provide customer service and code interpretation
- Entering data
- Maintaining logs and databases
- Research, prepare, and examine construction documents
- Provides technical code interpretation and assistance to inspectors, engineers, designers, and the general public
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED, including coursework in a related field
- Associates Degree is preferred
- Three (3) years of experience related to the area of assignment
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Make complex mathematical calculations
- Read, interpret, and understand complex construction documents
- Explain codes
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills
- Skill in the use of personal computer and in reading construction documents and specifications
Licenses and Certifications:
- ICC Building Plans Examiner - Required
- ICC Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical Plans Examiner - Preferred
- CO State Master/Journeyman Electrician's License - Preferred
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds
- Occasional lifting and carrying of objects
- Some walking and standing
- Some hand/eye coordination to operate a computer terminal
- Vision for reading and interpreting information, plans, and codes;
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communications with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment
- This position may require the incumbent to regularly use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies