Chef/Recreation Cooking Coordinator
- Summary of Job Duties
The City of Aurora is seeking One highly motivated and talented individual for a career in the Recreation Division. The Recreation Cooking Coordinator will oversee the Aurora Cooks cooking program. This will include designing and instructing cooking classes, scheduling and communicating with part-time cooking instructors, program development and other activities that ensure quality customer service.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
This position will be required to work nights and weekends.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead by example to guarantee excellent customer service for participants in the City of Aurora recreation programs by establishing high customer service standards for staff and ensuring a high level of accountability to meet those expectations.
- Stays current with trends in the Recreation and Restaurant industries to ensure that citizens of Aurora are offered superior options to meet their varied needs.
- Develop, plan, organize, and implement a variety of community-focused cooking programs for youth and adults.
- Teach programmed cooking classes on a weekly basis for youth and adults.
- Develop and implement a youth-focused cooking camp.
- Assist with daily afterschool program for youth attending the recreation center.
- Acts as liaison between part time cooking instructors/volunteers and supervisor.
- Oversees general cleaning, upkeep and maintenance of kitchen space and equipment.
- Adheres to budget, managing revenue and expenses to ensure a strong financial performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor's degree in Nutrition, Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Parks and Recreation Management, Education, Business Management or a related field.
Experience: At least 2 years of professional cooking experience. Experience teaching culinary classes is highly preferred.
Bilingual - Spanish and English (preferred)
An equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of basic cooking methods, techniques, and equipment. Knowledge of writing recipes. Knowledge of current trends in the Recreation and Restaurant industries. Knowledge of how to plan, organize, and transfer information and skills to a group of youth or adults.
Abilities: The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens. The ability to respond to customer inquiries and complaints in a timely manner. The ability to handle stressful or sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy.
Skills: Strong organization, communication, interpersonal and planning skills are required. Position will also require proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Licenses, Certificates, or Equipment Required: In order to be successful in this position, applications must have the ability to obtain a Colorado Driver's License with a good driving record.
Opportunity to occasionally use your own personal equipment (vehicle, cell phone, laptop, tools, etc.) in the course of your employment.
Current First Aid and CPR Certifications within 6 months of hire.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Moderate physical work depending upon assignment. Requires ability to lift up to a maximum of 50 pounds; some lifting and carrying objects up to 20 pounds; requires regular standing and walking; may require bending, crouching, pausing, pulling and climbing; hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard' may require foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle; vision to read reports and other written material; frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
Work Environment: Work is performed primarily in a clean, comfortable environment; may require outdoor work with exposure to dust and noise.
Equipment Used: Uses household appliances such as stove, dishwasher, food processors, washing machine and dryer, knives, utensils. Operates equipment and vehicles common to Recreation Management functions, as well as standard office equipment including a computer system.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.