CNA- Certified Nursing Assistant
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- The Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces department of the City of Aurora provides fun recreational programs and facilities for all ages aimed at improving the over physical and mental health of Aurora's Citizens. Morning Star Adult Day Program offers a safe and supportive environment to individuals 55 years of age or older with memory or physical impairments while providing much needed respite for their caregivers.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The City of Aurora is seeking a skilled CNA- Certified Nursing Assistant to perform specialized support and care functions for the adults participating in the day care program at the Morning Star adult care facility.
- Provides participants with assistance in personal care needs
- Leads and monitors activities such as arts and crafts, exercises, physical activities and day trips
- Assists clients with personal care, including feeding, walking, transfers, and bathroom use
- May take an active role in planning, leading, and setting up activities and programs
- May interface with physician oversight concerning client medications
- Performs kitchen duties such as snack preparation and cleaning
- Additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least one year of related experience working with elderly and /or special needs clients. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of personal care and needs of senior and special needs adults. Knowledge of geriatric programs issues and needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; handle sensitive or difficult situations with tact and diplomacy; provides prompt, courteous service to the public.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Current Colorado Certified Nursing Assistant license
- Ability to obtain the following within the first six months of employment:
- certification in CPR
- completion of training course and competency evaluation in medication administration
- training in transfers (provided by department staff).
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Light to Moderate physical work; requires the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds;
- Lifting, carrying, walking and standing especially in transferring clients from a wheelchair to the toilet and from the chair to a wheelchair
- Occasional eye/hand coordination to operates equipment
- Vision for reading, recording and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with other employees, vendors, program participants, caregivers, and citizens.
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment.
______________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Standard business and professional equipment and tools associated with the services being provided.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.