Community Program Specialist - Housing Counselor
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Hiring range for this position $23.18 - $27.78/hour. Based on education and experience.Full salary range for position. $21.70 - $30.30/hour
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station and RTD in close proximity
- Access to fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
Community Development is a division within Housing and Community Services Department. Its activities target a wide range of issues from basic needs such as the availability of affordable housing for families and individuals, to overall community quality of life issues and the reduction or elimination of blighting influences in Aurora. In addition, Community Development addresses economic opportunities within the community, the provision of support services for all residents, and the prevention of homelessness.
The City of Aurora is seeking a knowledgeable Housing Counselor to provide one-on-one or group counseling for clients requesting assistance with housing situations; including matters such as pre-purchase, down-payment, closing cost assistance, foreclosure prevention and reverse equity mortgage counseling, and tenant based rental assistance.
The hours for this position is Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, with 1 Saturday a month for a Homebuyer Seminar.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis. As soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train and become certified as a HUD Housing Counselor and a Reverse Mortgage Counselor.
- Provides direct service counseling to scheduled clients in accordance with established federal guidelines
- Obtains appropriate release of information and waivers for program process
- Provides referrals as appropriate to specific client needs
- Conducts initial assessment for individuals seeking HOAP financial assistance or foreclosure prevention counseling
- Work with rental assistance programs and homelessness prevention.
- Work with lenders, realtors, title insurance representatives and other parties necessary to complete financial assistance applications and attends loan closings
- Assists in the marketing programs to appropriate clientele
- Keeps current regarding programs and information in housing and related fields
- Coordinate and conduct in person homebuyer education seminars and homebuyer education follow up from online courses.
- Completes monthly administrative reports
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate degree in Social Work, Counseling, Real Estate, Business Administration, or a related field.
- 1 year of experience in housing counseling, social work, real estate, mortgage servicing or mortgage lending.
- Driver's License with a good driving history.
- Must obtain the HUD Housing Counselor Certification within 6 months of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in real estate, business administration, counseling, or a related field
- Experience working with CDBG and HOME federal funding programs
- Bilingual in Spanish
Knowledge of principles and practices related to real estate and mortgage lending; and personal computers and related software including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, program clients and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; handles sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; deals effectively with diverse clientele.
Strong interpersonal skills and effective communicator. Proficient with taking exams for required certifications.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Vision for reading and interpreting written reports and documents
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees, program participants and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable office environment.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.