Construction Inspection Supervisor
- Summary of Job Duties
Public Works Department - Public Improvement Division
The Public Works vision is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval, and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure. The Public Improvement Inspections Division is responsible for inspections of public improvements such as streets, walks, curbs, and gutters, street signs, and street lighting
The City of Aurora is governed by a council/manager form of government. This structure provides a balanced approach--combining the political leadership of elected officials with the managerial expertise of a professionally trained local government manager. Council members are the policymakers, elected by popular vote. They focus their attention on Aurora's goals, major projects, setting policy, and long-term considerations such as land use development, capital financing, and strategic planning.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for day-to-day operations
- Serve as a subject matter expert
- Allocating staff for inspections
- Training subordinates representing the organization
- Resolving issues and conflicts
- Ensuring consistency of service
- Supervise inspection staff, including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Planning, Business Administration or closely related field
- Five (5) years of experience performing building inspections
- Two (2) years of supervisory or lead worker experience
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to the construction of streets, water lines, sewer lines, and other public infrastructure including expertise in concrete and asphalt practices and construction means and methods
- Advanced familiarity with City of Aurora standards and specifications along with general state, federal, and local construction requirements
- Code enforcement techniques and principals
- Supervisory and leadership principals and techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations
- Read and interpret project plans and drawings
- Write and maintain detailed reports, logs, and payment records
- Be able to pass the Public Works Senior Construction Inspector exam
- Skill in the interpretation of engineer's drawings, standards, and specifications
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- May require lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 100 pounds, with or without assistance
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate office equipment
- Vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to dust and noise, and may encounter fumes from certain chemicals. May work in confined spaces
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.