Construction Inspection Supervisor
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Mission Statement is to enhance and protect the quality of life for Aurora citizens by providing safe, dependable and sustainable water, sewer and stormwater services, today and in the future.
The City of Aurora is seeking an experienced Construction Inspection Supervisor who performs high-quality inspection services, supervises and mentors junior staff and determines labor requirements for their area and dispatches workers to construction sites.
Applications must include your resume, cover letter, and copies of your certifications.**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for day-to-day operations
- Serve as subject matter expert
- Allocate staff for inspections
- Train subordinates
- Represent the organization
- Resolve issues and conflicts
- Ensure consistency of service
- Supervise inspection staff, including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Engineering, Architecture or equivalent experience related to the area of assignment
- Five (5) years of experience performing utility inspections
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to the construction of streets, water lines, sewer lines, and other public infrastructure
- City standards and specifications
- Code enforcement techniques and principals
- Supervisory and leadership principals and techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations
- Read and interpret project plans and drawings
- Write and maintain detailed reports, logs, and payment records
- Skill in the interpretation of engineer's drawings, standards, and specifications
Licenses and Certifications: As assigned, specialized certifications may be required such as:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- Colorado Class III Water Distribution Certificate
- Colorado Class III Collections Certificate
- CDOT Erosion Control Certificate
- City of Aurora Certified Supervisor
- Qualified candidates may be allowed department specified time frame to obtain required certifications
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- May require lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 100 pounds, with or without assistance
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate office equipment
- Vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to dust and noise, and may encounter fumes from certain chemicals
- May work in confined spaces
______________________________________________________________________For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.