- Summary of Job Duties
This posting is being reopened to provide a larger pool of quantified candidates. If you have applied within the last 60 days. You will not need to reapply.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs plans and specification reviews, field construction inspections, and project management functions during the construction phase of parks projects for Parks Operations Division of the Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department
Oversees and monitors small scale parks construction
- Reviews plans of internal and external projects for impacts to existing PROS sites;
- Evaluates plans and spec's, suggesting changes as appropriate;
- Attends pre-bid conferences to answer questions and brief contractors on expectations;
- Coordinate with contractors for site access,
- Monitors construction work being performed;
- Identifies problem areas, evaluates damages, and recommends repairs; meets with contractors to resolve problems;
- Sets construction schedule and monitors projects through to completion;
- Reviews, negotiates, and approves field and change orders; inspects completed and in-progress work sites;
- Review, process and track invoices and payments
Oversees and monitors services and contracts;
- Assist in writing/reviewing requirements and specifications for service contracts
- Assist in bidding and selection of maintenance contracts
- Conducts park inspections to validate maintenance requirements have been met;
- Review, process and track invoices and payments
Coordinates and Monitor utility work in PROS sites
- Works with utility companies and citizens to coordinate inspections of soil testing; missile boring; trenching; and digging for repairs of electrical, phone, cable, sewer, and waterlines on any City of Aurora Parks properties.
- Serves as Utility Locate of Colorado tier 1 representative for the Department.
- Perform related duties & responsibilities as required.
- Oversee volunteer and other labor crew work.
- Assists with long range capital needs assessments.
- Uses computers for logging information and creating forms needed for scheduling, summarizing contractor meetings, invoicing and requisitioning, budgeting, documenting project specifications, designating routes, preparing work statements, daily and week reports, and communicating with management, supervisors, contractors, and project personnel.
- Maintain a variety of computer and related files on assigned projects, report project status to appropriate commissions.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED supplemented by training in construction inspection methodology. Bachelor's Degree in parks management, construction, landscape, horticulture or directly related field is preferred.
- At least 3 years' construction management, coordination, and/or inspection experience. Prefer experience in parks environment.
An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of construction as applicable to parks projects; principles of irrigation design; principles of earth grading and drainage; construction materials and equipment; construction codes & laws; applicable safety practices and procedures; and computer operation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, contractors, and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; negotiate and write field and change orders; review site plans, designs, and proposals; and coordinate construction activities.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment related to inspection function; use of computer and related software applications; strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Driver license with a good driving history
- Must be able to obtain any certificates/licenses necessary to successfully complete the function of this job.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon assigned function; may require ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds; may lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds; regular walking and standing; frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of motor vehicles to perform field work; vision to read plans, specifications, and other written material; hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals; speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees, contractors, and citizens.
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions and all types of terrain with exposure to noise, fumes, dust, and chemicals; work may be performed in a confined space.
- Operates motor vehicles, survey equipment, and personal computer
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.