- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Mission Statement is to enhance and protect the quality of life for Aurora citizens by providing safe, dependable and sustainable water, sewer and stormwater services, today and in the future.
The City of Aurora is seeking an experienced Construction Inspector who perform Inspection of construction-related professional services during the construction phase of water projects. Construction Inspectors verify work is completed in compliance with plans, specifications, rules, regulations and City codes.
Work schedule is typically Monday to Friday between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm. Additional required hours may include weekends, holidays, on-call, etc. on a rotating basis.
Applications must include your resume, cover letter, and copies of your certifications.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbents, as assigned, perform entry-level to journey-level inspections of wet utilities and related systems including fire and life safety systems of residential and capital projects to ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
Responsibilities may include:
- Coordinates, and monitors water construction projects
- Works with consultants and engineers; monitors work being done
- Coordinates water issues with other city departments
- Reviews and Evaluates construction plans and specifications and suggests changes, as appropriate
- Maintains accurate construction files and records
- Identifies pre-problems areas and meets with contractors to resolve problems
- Conducts walk-through with contractors and inspects completed and in-progress work sites
- Performs miscellaneous field work such as gathering information, finding problem areas, and performing rude survey work
- Works on special projects as assigned
- Performs additional duties as required
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree preferred
- At least two (2) years experience performing construction inspections of water utilities for a public jurisdiction or consulting engineering firm
- Prefer experience in a municipal water environment
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of construction as applicable to the construction of Utility projects
- Construction materials and equipment; construction contracts
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, contractors, developers, and citizens
- Use project management software
- Write detailed reports; review site plans, designs, and proposals
- Inspect and document construction activities
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- Colorado Class I Distribution Operator Certificate (or ability to acquire within 12 months)
- Colorado Class I Collections Certificate (or ability to acquire within 12 months)
- CDOT Erosion Control Supervisor Certificate (or ability to acquire within 12 months)
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to moderate physical work which requires the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Some lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- A full range of body movements including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle to perform field work
- Vision to read plans, specifications, and other written information
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Works indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and over all types of terrain
- Operates a motor vehicle; survey equipment; measuring equipment such as tapes, levels and micrometers, camera and personal computer.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.