Contingent - Associate Real Property Agent
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Real Property Division of the Public Works Department conducts transactions on land acquisition and real estate for all city departments including the review of subdivision plats and site plans, annexations, street vacations, easement dedications and releases, land disposal, and leases.
This is a full-time (40 hours a week) contingent position with medical benefits only.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and processes, leases, licenses, contracts, conveyance instruments
- Prepares and processes agreements and permits with public and private entities
- Coordinates and contracts with environmental firms, appraisal firms, and other private consultants
- Reviews consultant reports and data including appraisals, environmental site assessments, title work
- Performs curative title functions including, but not limited to, affidavits, releases and consents
- Initiates and coordinates land negotiations with property owners and outside agencies to acquire or dispose of real property interests
- Assists Manager and other agents with complex land negotiations, document review and preparation, and generating valuation estimates
- Reviews legal descriptions and other documents for conformance with industry standards and/or governmental regulations
- Quality control for records and data management, including production and status activity report
- Prepares technical reports and memoranda for use by management
- Inventories and inspects City-owned property for asset management purposes
- Redeems and abates property taxes
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- Associates Degree or 2 years college-level coursework in business, land development, real estate or a related field is preferred.
- Coursework through a professional organization specializing in right-of-way acquisition for a public or quasi-public agency considered.
- At least 2 years of increasingly responsible experience in right-of-way or property acquisition in a public or quasi-public agency having power of condemnation.
- Knowledge of real property, negotiation techniques, real estate valuation, engineering and surveying methods
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizen
- Handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Perform detailed review of documents and records
- Understand engineering drawings and land descriptions
- Draft real property documents
License and/or Certificates:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- Colorado notary public certification, or the ability to obtain
- Working Conditions
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting and carrying
- Significant walking, standing, sitting
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer, telephone, calculator, copying machine, and measuring devices
- Foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicle for field inspections
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with occasional outdoor work for field inspection.
- Personal computer
- Engineering instruments
- Electronic components
- Motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies