Contingent Deputy Public Defender
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Mission of the Public Defender's Office is to provide complete, quality legal representation to indigent defendants who are faced with a possible jail sentence and are charged with a municipal ordinance violation in the Aurora Municipal Court. The Public Defender's Office is governed by the Public Defender Commission, which ensures that indigent clients are represented in accordance to its strict guidelines.**This is a 12 month, 40 hours per week, contract position that is eligible for medical and leave benefits only.**
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Chief Public defender, provides professional legal counsel to and defends indigent clients in cases brought before the Municipal Court.
- Represents indigent defendants in cases brought before the municipal court charged with municipal ordinance violations in the Aurora Municipal Court
- Examines evidence, reviews, prepares and presents cases
- Counsels clients on legal rights and responsibilities
- Initiates and defends appeals in appellate courts, when appropriate
- Works on numerous trials and hearings, client interviews, motions, and/or appeals
- Works with court staff to see that cases are handled in an efficient and timely manner
- Follows established court procedures
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Chief Public Defender or Chief Deputy Public Defender
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school and License to Practice Law in the State of Colorado.
- Must be a resident of the State of Colorado.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Participation on a clinical trial program held in conjunction with law school
- Must have no grievances resolved against them by any state Attorney regulation board
- Must have trials experience or trial practice class
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principals
- Practices and procedures related to criminal courtroom proceedings
- Case preparation and presentation
- Application of laws of the State of Colorado and ordinances of the City of Aurora, legal terminology
- Trial practice and tactics
- Appellate procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and City officials
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Work independently
- Make oral presentations
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and decision-making skills
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- A current license to practice law in the State of Colorado, reciprocity considered
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Eye/hand coordination to operate a computer system
- Speech communication, and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment
- Daily work in a courtroom environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including typewriters, computers, calculators and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g.fast-paced vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.