Contingent Engineering Technician - Traffic
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Department InformationThe Engineering Division of the Public Works Department plans, designs, constructs, and manages capital improvement, utilities, intersection, facilities, and fence projects; reviews and approves civil engineering plans; and fulfills traffic engineering requests (i.e. evaluate the need for traffic signs and signals, review signal timing, coordinate construction detours, etc.)
This is a full-time (40 hours a week) contingent position with medical benefits only.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Performs entry-level technical work and public contact relative to traffic issues to support the traffic engineering function of the Public Works Department.
- Conduct investigations of traffic conditions
- Conduct and analyze traffic surveys and other studies relating to traffic movement
- Make recommendations for installation or modification of traffic control devices
- Prepare work orders for installation or modification of traffic control devices
- Respond to public concerns related to traffic issues
- Perform field measurements
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- Associate's Degree in engineering technology or related field
- At least 2 years technical experience, including at least 1 year in traffic-related areas
- Knowledge of traffic control devices, practices, and procedures as defined in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain effective working relationships with other employees, outside agencies, and citizens
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in computers and related software
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- Working Conditions
- Light to sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 15 pounds
- Occasional lifting and carrying
- Frequent walking and standing for field work
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and related equipment
- Hand/foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to varying weather conditions, noise and dust, and traffic hazards
- Computer; some use of motor vehicle; traffic data collection equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.