Contingent Police Financial/HR Support Specialist
- Summary of Job Duties
**This posting is scheduled to close on Friday, April 26, 2021 at 12:00 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. If you have applied for this position in the last 6 months, please do not reapply as your application may not be considered. Thank you**
The Contingent Police Financial/HR Support Specialist processes changes for new, current, and departing members of Aurora’s professional staff and sworn employees; provides complex administrative support in the preparation, verification, and implementation in compliance with Human Resources policies and practices.
This is an entry-level temporary position working 40 hours a week and is eligible for paid time off, PTO, and health benefits only.
The budgeted hiring range for this position is $23.18 - $25.48 based on education, experience, and training over minimum qualifications
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The Aurora Police Department
Vision: Aurora Police Department will continually evolve as an innovative agency. Within the Aurora Police Department there are four separate divisions: Operations; Metro; Professional Accountability; and Business Services and employs over 800 Civil Service and Career Service employees whose mission is Partnering with Our Community to Make Aurora Safer Every Day.
To be employed by the Aurora Police Department you will need to successfully pass a background check, polygraph test, and fingerprint screening, along with other conditions of employment; drug test and verification of employment. Because of this, there is a longer recruitment process, we thank you in advance for your patience.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification or termination once hired.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides extensive customer service to all APD employees regarding HR concerns to include benefits, pay changes, assignments and HR policies & procedures
- Processes the requests to fill new positions and tracks the vacancies in the department
- Responsible for new employee on-boarding and contracts as well as separations of employment
- Coordinates with other departments to process pay and assignment changes for employees
- Completes data entry in various systems for personnel changes
- May perform additional duties or responsibilities as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Associate's Degree in business administration, accounting, human resources, or directly related field
- At least 2 years of directly related personnel/payroll experience, to include HR policies and procedures
- 5 years progressively responsible general clerical experience
- Experience working with general accounting principals and practices
- Experience working in a municipal government, public safety or unionized workforce
- Payroll processes, automated payroll systems, personnel management policies and procedures, business, English, and math
- Considerable knowledge of general Human Resources practices
- General knowledge of police policies, procedures and regulations
- Skill in office equipment operation
- Microsoft office suite
- Payroll and clerical functions related to assigned function
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer service skills, and computer operation
- Accurately and efficiently key information using a numeric keyboard
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both sworn and civilian personnel, citizens, and managers
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information related to payroll and personnel issues
- Use de-escalation techniques to handle sensitive/emotional situations
- Perform accurate arithmetic calculations
- Keeps detailed records
- Sets priorities
- Performs a variety of mathematical calculations, prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Work independent with minimal supervision
- Interact knowledgeably with staff and the public in person and by telephone
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, decision making, and problem solving skills
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift 10 pounds with or without assistance
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of keyboard and other office equipment
- Vision for reading, recording, and interpreting information
- Frequent speech communication, hearing, and listening to maintain communications with employees and citizens
- Essential duties performed primarily in an indoor office, public area setting
- Will travel locally to any applicable police facility or district
- Eligible for teleworking based on business needs
- Frequently uses computer keyboard and telephone, fax machines, copiers and calculator
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.