Contingent Public Improvement Inspector
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Public Improvement Division conducts inspections of public improvements such as streets, walks, curbs, and gutters.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
This is a repost, and will remain open until filled, if you have applied or interviewed for this position within the last 12 months, please DO NOT RE-APPLY.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The City of Aurora is looking for a highly qualified Contingent Public Improvement Inspector to perform inspections of roadway construction, and Capital Improvement Projects within the City's right of way to ensure quality workmanship and construction practices. This individual will make sure that work is completed in compliance with plans, specifications, rules, regulations, and city codes.
- Provides project inspection services to interpret, explain and enforce City standards, specifications, and plans
- Accepts proper construction and rejects or requires replacement of defective work or materials
- Provides daily documentation of project work activity, equipment, and manpower for City projects
- Measures and records completed work and participate in pay meetings with contractors
- Coordinates construction requirements with contractors, project engineers, and utility companies
- Performs annual project re-inspection to determine warranty repair requirements
- Provides information to developers, contractors or interested parties
- Collects and provides data
- Reports verbally or in writing
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 2 years experience performing construction inspections of roadways and/or utilities for a public jurisdiction or consulting engineering firm
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to the construction of streets, water lines, sewer lines, and other public infrastructure
- City standards and specifications
- Code enforcement techniques and principals
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations
- Read and interpret project plans and drawings
- Write and maintain detailed reports, logs, and payment records
- Skill in the interpretation of engineer's drawings, standards, and specifications
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- A Colorado driver's license with a good driving record; this position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- Working Conditions
- Physical Demands:
- Moderate physical work which requires ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- Full range of body movements including pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling
- Foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicle
- Vision to read plans, specifications and other information
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees, contractors and citizens
- Works indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and over all types of terrain with some exposure to dust, noise, traffic and moving construction equipment
- Operates a motor vehicle
- Personal computer, measuring equipment such as tapes, levels and micrometers; and camera
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.