Contingent Traffic Signal Utility Locator
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $34,168.00 - $50,210.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.Why Work for Aurora?
The position of Contingent Traffic Signal Utility Locatorsupports the Traffic Signals Operations section of the Public Works Department's vision of connecting with the community and being acknowledged as an essential service defining the quality of life in Aurora. When you join our team you will be able to employ your unique skills and passion to undertake important and meaningful work within the urban park's environment that is critical to the success of our department and to the City of Aurora as a whole.
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
**This is a 12 month, 40 hours per week, contract position that is eligible for medical and leave benefits only.**
***This posting will fill multiple positions and maybe open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Traffic Signal Utility Locator's responsibility is to respond to Colorado 811 locate requests for the divisions of Traffic Engineering Operations. Individuals must be able to work independently, have computer skills to close out locate requests, and knowledge of utilities that are found at Traffic Signals.
- Locates a combination power and output feeds/cables for traffic signals
- Communicates verbally and in writing with customers and contractors
- Maintains and updates records; reads and interprets maps and construction drawings to mark utility lines within accuracy requirements of State laws
- Conducts field meetings with contractors or customers and other representatives from outside agencies and coordinates the location of utility lines
- Creates charts and drawings displaying various utility lines using GIS and other computer software
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- At least three (3) years of related maintenance experience including reading and interpretation of construction drawings
- Experience with Pelican Software is preferred
- Knowledge of confined space entry procedures
- Practice and techniques of assigned maintenance functions
- Knowledge of various types of utility lines
- Knowledge of GIS
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office, and competent in most common computer tasks
- Basic drafting/drawing skills
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Read and interpret construction plans and mapping systems
- Measure, locate, and mark underground utility locations based on plan information and records
- Communicate location information and resolve conflicts with field construction personnel
- Ability to work overtime
- Ability to work on the weekends
Licenses, Certificates, or Equipment Required:
- Valid Driver License with a good driving history.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. cell phone, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Medium work lifting no more than 50 pounds (with or without assistance) at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects
- Frequently lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read manuals and use computers, record data, and monitor/observe instruments and gauges
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions, noise, fumes, and chemicals; work may be performed in a confined space
- Some work performed in confined space
For Veterans preferences: Please show all of your employment history, military service, and included related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- Use of tablets in the field to complete locate requests
- Use of locator equipment to complete locate requests
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.