Contingent Water Engineering Inspector
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
A Water Engineering Inspector performs the inspection of wet utility infrastructure construction to ensure quality workmanship and construction practices; and that work is completed in compliance with plans, specifications, rules, regulations, and city codes.
This is a 12 month, 40 hours per week temporary position. This position is eligible for medical benefits, paid holidays, and personal vacation days.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides project inspection services to interpret, explain, and enforce City standards, specifications, and plans
- Accepts proper construction and rejects or requires replacement of defective work or materials
- Provides daily documentation of project work activity, equipment, and manpower for City projects
- Measures and records completed work and participate in meetings with contractors
- Coordinates construction requirements with contractors, project engineers, and utility companies
- Performs annual project reinspection to determine warranty repair requirements
- Provides information to developers, contractors, or interested parties
- Collects and provides data
- Reports verbally or in writing; and performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least one (1) year of experience performing construction inspections of water utilities for a public jurisdiction or consulting engineering firm
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to the construction of water lines, sewer lines, and related appurtenances
- City standards and specifications
- Code enforcement techniques and principals
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations
- Read and interpret project plans and drawings
- Write and maintain detailed reports, logs, and payment records
- Skill in the interpretation of engineer's drawings, standards, and specifications, personal computer, and related software
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Colorado Driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Moderate physical work which requires the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- A full range of body movements including pushing, pulling, climbing, and crawling
- Foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle
- Vision to read plans, specifications, and other information
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Working in excavations and/or confined spaces
- Works indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and over all types of terrain with some exposure to dust, noise, traffic, and moving construction equipment
- Operates a motor vehicle; measuring equipment such as tapes, levels, and micrometers; camera.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.