Cooking Class Assistants
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- The city of Aurora is seeking enthusiastic individuals for a career in the Recreation Division. Cooking Class Assistants will aid the Chef/Cooking Instructors in executing classes in the city's recreational cooking program. Classes are held in teaching kitchens located in 3 of the city's recreation centers (Expo Recreation Center, Moorhead Recreation Center and Central Recreation Center). This will include helping setup for cooking classes, washing dishes, assisting in food prep, maintaining a safe and clean environment, and other activities that ensure quality customer service.
Classes are held on Friday evenings from 5:30 to 10:00pm and Saturdays between 8:30am and 8:00pm.
Position will work up to 13 hours a week: 4.5 hours on Friday evenings and 8 hours on Saturdays.
This is a continuous position and will be closed when all positions are filled. Applications will be sent to the hiring supervisor once a week for review.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with food preparation prior to class, such as washing produce, chopping, getting appropriate ingredients out and within reach for chef's demo.
- Ensuring dishwashers are empty and ready for reloading at end of class.
- Wipe down tables and chairs before and after each class
- Set up coffee, water, tea and replenish when needed.
- Closely observe class instruction, assisting the chef instructor when needed.
- Assist in plating and serving dishes.
- Set tables for dinner service.
- This includes linens, wine and water glasses, silverware, plates, filled pitchers of ice-water.
- Ensure availability of clean dishes by bussing tables, washing and drying dishes for guest use.
- Oversee clean-up during and after class.
- Assisting in keeping youth safe and engaged during class.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Cooking Program Coordinator (making copies, running to the store in an emergency, wiping cabinets, organizing pantry).
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: At least 1 year restaurant experience; prefer heavy customer service experience. Experience working with youth and adults preferred.
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of standard food prep and food safety procedures.
Skills: Must be outgoing, engaging, and passionate about cooking. Possesses strong problem solving and communication skills. Exceptional time management skills.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required: On-site training required. Reliable transportation to work sites is required.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Primarily physical and active work indoors, requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds; walk or stand for an 8-hour shift; frequent and repetitive lifting, carrying, walking and standing to implement program and conduct activities; vision for reading, recording and interpreting information; frequent speech communication with fellow employees, City of Aurora, and Aurora citizens.
Work Environment: Works indoors at city-owned recreation facilities.
Equipment Used: May use standard kitchen equipment, including: mixers, ovens, ranges, knives, and small appliances__________________________________________________________________
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.