Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- We are looking for energetic and innovative new cooking instructors to Join Aurora Cooks, the City of Aurora Cooking Program. Aurora Cooks offers cooking classes for all ages out of our teaching kitchens in four of the city's recreation centers (Expo Recreation Center, Moorhead Recreation Center, Central Recreation Center, and,Meadowood Recreation Center). Classes focus on developing at home cooking skills as well as exploring regional cuisines from around the globe. Instructors will be responsible for guiding guests of all ages through an entertaining, hands-on and educational cooking class, sharing their knowledge and expertise to create a meal for all to share.This is a Contingent, Part-Time position with no benefits. Applicants must be able to work varied hours.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare for class by reviewing all recipes and class plans created and distributed by cooking staff
- Set up kitchen with all materials, supplies, and ingredients from pantry and kitchen cabinets to be ready for use during class
- Master skills/knowledge pertaining to subject matter in order to conduct a successful class
- Deliver a well-organized, cooking class where guests can leave being equipped to replicate skills taught in class at home
- Keep guests engaged and entertained throughout class
- Ensure that all food prepared, is safe to eat, and completed in time for guests taste and enjoy what they have prepared in class
- Control classroom conduct and safe cooking practices
- Encourage and exemplify cooking from scratch
- Promote consumption of fruit and vegetables
- Overseeing safe alcohol consumption
- Perform other duties assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Required Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledgeable in the field of cooking: practical and advanced cooking techniques, familiarity and expertise with kitchen equipment, experienced with particular types of cuisine
- Ability to teach people how to cook for everyday meals and adapt recipes, rather than just read a recipe
- Good organizational skills and responsive to email and phone communication
- Ability to follow applicable safety practices
- Good written & verbal skills
- Willing to follow nutrition guidelines determined by director for cooking classes and commitment to using healthy, whole food ingredients as much as possible
- Prompt and reliable
- Must be outgoing, engaging, and passionate about cooking
- Ability to work well with youth and adults
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Must have an active email address
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience teaching; preferably cooking classes
- Experience cooking in a professional setting such as a restaurant or catering
- Experience working with youth and adults having the ability to adapt to different age groups, ages 3 and older
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Ability to lift 25 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing.
Work Environment: Works in clean comfortable environment.
Equipment Used: This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.__________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.