Economic and Business Development Supervisor
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
Supervises overall operations, programs, budgets and strategic planning of the City Economic Development and Aurora Small Business Development Center programs. Manages the EDA Revolving Loan Fund for small businesses and contracts with the Aurora Economic Development Council (AEDC) and Adams County Economic Development (ACED). Maintains relationships with the business community including the Aurora Chamber, AEDC and ACED. Conducts, tracks and manages reporting on SBDC client sessions, economic impacts, workshops and events. Acts as staff liaison for the Business Advisory Board, their activities and events. Assists the Division Manager in integrating small business and economic development programs into the larger development/redevelopment program.
At the City of Aurora we demonstrate our work by modeling the Core 4 Values of: Customer Service, Professionalism, Integrity and Respect and we welcome all who share those values to apply.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises overall operations, programs, budgets and strategic planning of the City Economic Development and Aurora Small Business Development Center programs
- Manages the EDA Revolving Loan Fund for small businesses and contracts with the Aurora Economic Development Council (AEDC) and Adams County Economic Development (ACED) Maintains relationships with the business community including the Aurora Chamber, AEDC and ACED. Conducts, tracks and manages reporting on SBDC client sessions, economic impacts, workshops and events
- Acts as staff liaison for the Business Advisory Board, their activities and events.
- Assists the Division Manager in integrating small business and economic development programs into the larger development/redevelopment program
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in planning, development, business administration, management, marketing, or directly related field. Master's Degree preferred
- 6 years of experience related to area of assignment
- Lead or supervisory experience preferred
- At least 3 years experience in business or development, experience with government incentive programs and/or lending programs, management of economic development programs, and/or small business development programs including some experience related to lending, underwriting, asset management, and/or collections
- At least 2 years of either supervisory or program management experience.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and operating requirements of running a small business
- Loan and underwriting practices and procedures; economic development; business plan design and development
- Principles of commercial lending; small business loans and financing; and municipal government operations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and elected officials
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives; ability to assess small business training needs and develop programs to meet needs; direct and effectively supervise other employees
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and program management skills.
Licenses and Certifications:
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment. Completion of SBDC Network Consultant certification preferred, but must be able to achieve certification within the introductory period. (Must pass 5 online modules).
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer and related equipment
- Vision to read legal descriptions and review drawings
- Some speech and hearing to maintain communications with other employees and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.