- Summary of Job Duties
The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department is seeking a skilled Project Engineer to plan, review, coordinate, and perform complex professional engineering work to support engineering services.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first serve basis; as soon as we determine we have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Entry to journey-level engineering work such as coordinate contracts and support individual components on projects in one discipline
- Conduct contract and project administration
- Conduct review of plans and specifications
- Perform modeling
- Create, review and maintain engineering databases, maps and drawings
- May perform other duties assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, architecture or related field
- At least two (2) years of experience in general engineering work; municipal experience is preferred
An equivalent combination of training, education, and experience demonstrating required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of current engineering principles and practices applicable to engineering projects
- Local, state and federal laws and regulations related to assigned function
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Make decisions and solve complex technical problems
- Interpret codes and criteria
- Use computer design software in engineering projects
- Work effectively with other employees, outside agencies, contractors and citizens
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- FE or EIT Certification or ability to obtain one within six months
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Primarily works in a clean, comfortable environment, some outdoor work for field inspections.
__________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Computer and engineering instruments; motor vehicle; general office equipment.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.