Engineering Supervisor - Development Review
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.Engineering SupervisorThe hiring range for this position is $94,716.00 - $116,054.60 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $94,716.00 - $137,392.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Flexible work schedules and part time remote working options available
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of over 3,500 miles of potable water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, 4 potable and reclaimed water treatment plants, dozens of pump and lift stations, and major raw water infrastructure including large diameter waterlines, pump stations and reservoirs. Though the City covers over 180 square miles, it is only fifty percent developed; therefore, Aurora Water is also responsible a major capital projects programs and strong collaboration with the development community to ensure new infrastructure meets the standards and specifications of a quickly growing and well planned out community.
The Aurora Water Engineering Supervisor of Development Review is foundational to support the extensive growth within the City. The position will report to the EngineeringServices Manager and be responsible for assisting with developer coordination,coordination with other City departments, staff leadership/coaching/mentoring,master utility study and plan set QA/QC, development and reimbursementagreement review, and development review process improvements and efficiencies. This individual will supervise a team ofengineers and technical staff and will be responsible for reviewing developmentand/or construction submittals, and solving complex technical problems.*All applications must include a Cover Letter and Resume.*The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Supervisesdevelopment review staff, acts as a team leader for engineers, technical andother support personnel.
Plans,organizes, coaches, leads, supervises, and evaluates the work of assignedstaff; develops, implements, and monitors work plans to achieve goals andobjectives; supervises and participates in developing, implementing, andevaluating plans, work processes, systems, and procedures to achieve annualgoals, objectives, and work standards.
Providesleadership and works with staff to ensure a high performance, customerservice-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s andthe City’s mission, objectives, and values.
Coordinatesand delegates reviews of reports and plans to the team.
Coordinateswith management team on workload and priorities.
Developsor supports operational priorities, goals and objectives for assignedemployees.
Thoroughlyunderstand the development review process and occasionally attendpre-application and pre-submittal meetings.
Assiststaff with development project coordination and when necessary help developcollaborative solutions that maintain City interests.
Helpstaff enforce Aurora Water criteria.
Reviewsdevelopment plans and studies for conformance to annexation agreements, masterplans, master utility studies, City Code, criteria and specifications.
QA/QCfinal plan set reviews.
Helpinstigate, develop and/or review Department specifications and criteriamanuals.
Coordinatewith other City Departments (Office of Development Assistance, Public Works,Planning, Parks Recreation and Open Space (PROS), etc.) to implementcross-departmental solutions for processes and complex projects.
SupportCity's interests in negotiating, reviewing, and executing reimbursement,annexation and development agreements.
EnsureCitywide Master Plans are being implemented at the site level.
Participatesin the selection of technical engineering staff; provides or coordinates stafftraining; works with employees to correct deficiencies. Track workload data anddevelop solutions to ensure performance metrics are met.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor'sdegree in from an accredited institution in Civil or Environmental Engineering (or directly related field).
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- At least seven (7) years utility (water, wastewater and stormwater)infrastructure engineering experience with an emphasis on new development
- At least ten (10) years utility (water, wastewater and stormwater)infrastructure engineering experience with an emphasis on new development preffered
- Three years of supervisory experience and formalsupervisory training is preferred
- Utility construction and/or inspection experience preferred
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees,customers and residents.
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public,executive staff, elected officials, and City staff regarding development projectsand issues.
- Make decisions and solve or make recommendations for complex technicaland procedural issues/problems.
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives
- Effectively supervise other employees
- Mentor and develop technical skills in junior engineers and staff
- Plan and schedule work unit operations
- Correctly Interpret codes and criteria
- Effectively manage multiple projects, objectives and competing priorities
Licenses and Certifications:
- Registrationas a Professional Engineer in the United States
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado, or ability to obtain licensure withinsix months
- Driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Sedentaryphysical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasionallifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Hand/eyecoordination to operate a computer and related equipment
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Worksprimarily in a clean, comfortable environment
- Periodicallyvisits project sites in the field
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.______________________________________________________________________
- Frequentlyuses standard office equipment including computers, calculators and copy/faxmachines
- Frequentlyanswers telephone
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.