- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews civil construction plans for conformance with City codes and specifications
- Assists in the processing of building permits for conformance with City code and Federal floodplain regulations
- Assists with floodplain determinations
- Provides customer and citizen assistance with City codes and specifications
- Provides research and assistance in support of division activities
- Collects and analyzes data and makes mathematical computations
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate's Degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Management, Computer Aided Drafting, Surveying or directly related field
- At least two (2) years progressively responsible paraprofessional civil engineering
- Experience in civil engineering design, construction management, construction inspection and/or land surveying
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil Engineering Design software is beneficial
- Knowledge of the basic principles of civil engineering
- Knowledge of municipal design criteria and specifications
- Knowledge of City codes relating to engineering functions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications
- Review, correct and recommend solutions to less complex engineering plans
- Perform complex mathematical computations
- Skilled in the use of drafting instruments and equipment
- Skilled in the use of computers and related software
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate a computer and related equipment
- Speech and hearing to maintain communications with other employees
- Vision to read and review construction plans
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Occasional fieldwork involving outdoor weather conditions
- Computer, calculator and peripheral equipment related to assigned duties
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.