- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Public Works, Street Operations
Improves and maintains our roadways, performs street sweeping and snow removal. They are seeking an Engineering Technician to assist and support the Public Works Operations Capital Projects section staff in all aspects of infrastructure maintenance.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collection, compilation of data and preparation of drawings and maps for street infrastructure maintenance projects using GPS and GIS technology
- Maintenance of database for pavement management software
- Assist with field preparation for construction contracts including concrete repair and pavement maintenance contracts
- Assist in management of maintenance contracts through field monitoring and quantity calculations
- Maintenance of various data systems
- Assist with placement, maintenance, and programming of portable variable message boards
- Assist with maintenance of road weather information system and automated vehicle location system including equipment installation and testing
- Research funding alternatives and new technologies for street maintenance
- Assist management of contract snow removal efforts, which may require shift and night work
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- Associates Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Materials Science or related field
- Two years of experience in construction work, inspection or materials testing
- Use of computerized systems including data entry and analysis, GIS or related fields
An equivalent combination of training and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Basic knowledge of street operations including but not limited to materials, construction process, and infrastructure maintenance.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations
- Read and interpret project plans and drawings
- Write and maintain detailed reports, logs and, payment records
- Skill in computers and related software including Microsoft Excel, Word and GIS software such as ESRI ArcGIS
Licenses and Certifications:
- Driver's License with a good driving record
- Working Conditions
- Moderate physical work which requires the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Regular walking and standing
- Full range of body movements including pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling
- Foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicles
- Vision to read plans, specifications and other information
- Frequent hearing and speech communication with employees
- Works indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions
- Considerable outdoor work to observe construction projects
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.