- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide support to the Debt, Investment, and Treasury functions. Provide detailed analysis and financial modeling pertaining to the City's debt and investment portfolios, along with understanding and analyzing economic development projects. Have a meaningful understanding of both the debt and financial markets. Performs administrative and reporting duties to maintain smooth daily operations. Develop and maintain procedures and policies to meet regulatory compliance and best practices. Be able to work independently, think creatively, and be self motivated.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works collaboratively with financial and investment advisors and other City staff regarding debt issuances, financial modeling and investments
- Assists in debt & investment reporting and compliance for internal and external stakeholders
- Assists in preparation of annual comprehensive financial reporting that is used by all levels of management, bond rating agencies, investors, and citizens
- Facilitates debt service payments and generates debt-related accounting entries.
- Helps manage the division website and SharePoint page
- Reconciles debt-financed project funds and requisitions funds from trustee accounts
- Monitors City cash flows and daily liquidity; evaluates investment and redemption needs
- Creates accounting entries and assists in reconciliation of the City's investment portfolio
- Coordinates with operating bank, accounting services, controller's Office, and manages bank software user access
- Assists in the administration of the City's General Improvement districts
- Independently identifies, researches, and resolves problems, assists in developing controls and provides recommendations to improve processes
- Prepares and completes special projects and reports independently
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in business administration, finance, accounting, public policy or extensive experience in a directly related field
- At least 1 years experience in debt and/or investment practices and procedures.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of debt and/or investment practices and procedures
- Experience in documenting loans/bonds; principles of finance such as time value of money
- Use of personal computers, related complex spreadsheet modeling applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and external customers
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Compile and accurately analyze financial data; and make effective written and oral presentations
- Ability to think creatively, and the ability to utilize the internet as a research tool
- Strong accuracy, analytical and organizational skills
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related spreadsheet, word processing, presentation, financial statement understanding and interpretation, financial reporting, email and internet browser programs and the ability to perform complex calculations
Licenses and Certifications: As assigned, specialized certifications may be required such as:
- Driver's License
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard and calculator
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.