- Summary of Job Duties
Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Fleet division is seeking General Maintenance Apprentice interested in a training position to perform routine preventive maintenance, diagnostic and repair work on various types of automotive vehicles and equipment. Performing work on a variety of automotive, heavy vehicles/equipment and fire apparatus.
**This is a 12 month, 40 hours per week temporary position. This position is eligible for medical benefits, paid holidays, and personal vacation days. **
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
General Maintenance Apprentice:
- Train in performing preventative maintenance on City automotive vehicle/equipment fleet.
- Train in the diagnostic procedures on hydraulic, electronic and mechanical systems.
- Train in the routine maintenance on automotive operating systems and scheduled services.
- Train in basic reports related to the maintenance function.
- Train in the storage and handling of hazardous materials in accordance with EPA and City standards.
- Train in a variety of maintenance tasks including washing and steam cleaning equipment.
- Train in maintaining fluid levels in a diverse fleet of vehicles.
- Train in tire replacement, maintenance and repair.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
General Maintenance Apprentice:
- High School diploma or GED. Prefer vocational training in automotive service.
- At least 6 months experience servicing automotive vehicles.
- Knowledge of automotive equipment maintenance; maintenance and repair tools and equipment; and applicable safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; accurately follow verbal and written instructions
- Correctly maintain and repair assigned vehicles or equipment
- Meet service deadlines
- keep records relating to the maintenance function; and lift 50 pounds repetitively.
- Skill in the use of assigned tools and equipment.
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds without assistance or 100 pounds with assistance.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Regular walking and standing; frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling.
- Vision to read written instructions and equipment/vehicle gauges.
- ? Eye/hand/foot coordination to operate motor vehicles.
- Hearing/listening for warning signs and troubleshooting.
- Speech communication to give technical information and instructions.
- Works in an automotive shop/yard environment with frequent time spent outdoors in all types of weather conditions; regular exposure to dust, noise, fumes and chemicals.
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment including computers and diagnostic equipment with applicable software applications. Drives equipment and vehicles in and out of shop.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on