Forensic Analyst - Latent Print Examiner
- Summary of Job Duties
**This posting is scheduled to close on Thursday, December 21, 2018 at 12 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Please note this position is a repost, if you applied for this position in the last 12 months, please do not reapply as your application may not be considered. Thank you.**
The Crime Lab looking for a Latent Print Examiner to perform analysis of forensic evidence through a variety of methods related to latent print examination, to support the criminal investigation function of the Aurora Police Department.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Aurora Police Department
The Vision of the Aurora Police Department is to be the safest largest city in America. In 2014 we moved one step closer to our vision by being named the Safest Largest City in Colorado and the 16th overall safest city in the nation. Within the Aurora Police Department there are four separate divisions: Operations; Metro; Compliance and Professional Standards; and Business Services and employees over 800 Civil Service and Career Service employees whose mission is to Make Aurora Safer Every Day.
To be employed by the Aurora Police Department you will need to successfully pass a background test, polygraph test, and fingerprint screening, along with other conditions of employment; drug test and verification of employment. Because of this, there is a longer recruitment process, we thank you in advance.
Despite changes in the Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test for marijuana is grounds for disqualification or termination once hired.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Compares latent prints with known suspect prints for identification purposes
- Processes physical evidence in laboratory
- Processes various items of evidence for latent prints and photographs evidence
- May also assist in the processing/analysis of crime scenes as required
- Prepares reports on analysis and crime scene investigations
- May assist and advise investigators and prosecuting attorneys regarding cases, results, and expected testimony
- Performs duties of Crime Scene Investigator as required
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in criminalistics, police science, physical science, or directly related field
- a total of 4 years of directly related experience
- 2 years experience in latent print examinations
- 2 years crime scene processing
- 2 years of special training in latent print examination
Licenses and Certifications:
- None require
- Knowledge of appropriate scientific procedures and equipment used in latent print examination; investigative methods and techniques; rules of evidence and court testimony.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; handle stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; organize and prioritize work; properly use and maintain scientific equipment; prepare accurate reports; testify effectively on scientific matters and work in any weather condition and under adverse physical circumstances.
- Skill in latent print examination and crime scene investigation.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- light to moderate physical work requiring ability to lift 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Regular lifting and carrying of objects weighing 10 to 20 pounds of equipment and/or evidence
- Regular standing and walking to investigate crime scene
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer, laboratory instruments, and other testing instruments, and video equipment
- Foot/eye coordination to operate motor vehicle
- Visual acuity correctable to 20/40 with no color impairment to interpret data
- Speech communication, hearing, and listening to maintain communications with other employees and citizens.
- Works primarily in an office/laboratory environment with some work outdoors at crime scenes; exposure to biohazard contamination, chemicals, odors, and noise
- Computer, camera, laboratory instruments, and video equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.