Forestry Small Tree Worker
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Starting Pay for this position is $17.27/hour depending on education and experience.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The City of Aurora Forestry Division is seeking a skilled Small Tree Maintenance Worker to perform tree nursery and planting of new city trees.
The Forestry Division of the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces department of the city of Aurora focuses on maintaining and planting trees throughout the city - otherwise known as the Urban Forest.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Grind out stumps in order to prepare for tree planting
- Plants and waters new trees
- Structural pruning of young trees
- Maintains and develops tree nursery
- Using a mobile device to maintain GIS tree inventory
- Assists with tree trimming and removal operations
- Operates and maintains power tools and forestry equipment
- Assists in chemical application
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school Diploma or GED.
- 1 year of related manual labor experience, or training/certifications/coursework in nursery management, arboricultural, landscaping, forestry, horticulture,
environmental science, or natural resources management.
- Knowledge of methods and processes related to grinding stumps
* Knowledge of methods and processes related to maintaining young trees.
* Knowledge of methods and processes related to tree pruning
* Knowledge of methods and processes to growing trees in containers and in the field
* Knowledge of collecting GIS tree inventory information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; perform manual labor for extended periods of time;
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate or receive training on various types of maintenance and construction equipment.
- Skilled in the use of maintenance equipment.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring ability to frequently lift up to 50 pounds with or without assistance and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing; regular pushing, pulling and bending
- Some hand/eye and foot/eye coordination to operate motorized equipment
- Hearing and listening for receiving and interpreting information and warning signals.
- Regularly works outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions
- Regular exposure to dust, noise, and chemicals.
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays in emergency situations.
_____________________________________________________________________________For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Hand and power tools common to urban forestry maintenance as well as chain saws, hand saws, and pole pruners.
- Landscaping equipment like tractors, skid steer loaders, trailers, and mini excavators.
- Forestry equipment like chippers and stump grinders.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.