- Summary of Job Duties
The City of Aurora is seeking a motivated and innovation-inspired GIS Supervisor to manage the Water Department Geographic Information System (GIS) team and lead/maintain accountability for the team's responsibilities including:
- Water, wastewater, and stormwater utility database integrity
- Mapping and data requests
- Online web applications and dashboards
- Mobile application development and support
- GIS related new solution/enhanced functionality requests
- Integration of GIS functionality into operations, asset management, and planning programs
- Migration of existing geometric GIS network to utility network
This is an exciting opportunity to lead an innovative, impactful, and high performing team within the Aurora Water department. The Aurora Water GIS team resides within the Planning Services division, working closely with and in support of asset management, development review, operations, and long-range planning staff. A core duty of the team is providing useful and accurate GIS and asset information to our customers. Equally as important we continue to look for innovative GIS solutions to more efficiently and effectively support our organization, including the continued development of web maps, interactive mobile GIS tools, and dashboards.
The successful candidate for this position will have subject matter expertise in GIS and demonstrate a motivating and high performing work style working in a fast-paced and fun environment.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for leading a team of four to six GIS professionals. The primary responsibilities of the position include leading and motivating staff, developing and implementing a vision for Aurora Water GIS, seeking out innovative solutions to meet current and future business objectives, managing and delegating workload, and occasionally lead higher priority or more complex GIS initiatives.
Other primary duties include:
- Develop and implement a GIS strategic plan and vision. This includes meeting the core duties and functions of the team and providing a vision and plan for future GIS endeavors, such as the utility network migration and seeking innovative solutions to better meet current and future business objectives
- Responsible for leading, supervising, and evaluating the work of Aurora Water GIS staff, including mentorship, setting clear expectations, providing constructive feedback through regular one on one meetings and performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures
- Evaluate and propose tools/systems required for efficient and successful completion of required tasks.
- Identify areas for efficiencies including automation where appropriate.
- Develop Aurora Water GIS procedures and technical standards, in cooperation and coordination with City-wide GIS and IT teams
- Manage and assign internal GIS work requests through the customer ticketing system
- Prepare project plans to meet user map and data request needs
- Evaluate overall operations of department GIS functions and oversee ongoing improvements of Aurora Water GIS data to recommend enhancements
- Coordinate database development activities with data administrators in the City-wide IT department
- Provide technical expertise, user training, and support to departmental users
- Serve as the department's point of contact on GIS matters and liaison with City-wide GIS team
- Act as liaison with internal divisions and external organizations as necessary
- Expanded duties and career progression opportunities for this position may eventually include supervision of technical support staff for non-GIS applications, including Aurora Water's work management system, reporting applications, and business intelligence tools
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in GIS, cartography, drafting or related field
- Five (5) years of GIS operating experience, required
- Three (3) years of water utility experience, preferred
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience, required
- Proficient knowledge of ESRI GIS software, cartographic design and map production, remote sensing, photogrammetry, and experience working in public utilities and operations is preferred
- Knowledge of work management systems, dashboarding, and business intelligence processes are beneficial to potential future career progression and expansion of duties of this position
- Ability to perform geospatial modeling, analysis, and data manipulation
- Ability to coordinate, prioritize, and assign tasks
- Specify and enforce project deliverables and keep stakeholders apprised of the deliverable schedule
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, users, and citizens
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, project management, and leadership skills
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Speech communication to give instructions and provide technical direction
- Vision to read gauges and instructions and operate equipment
- Essential duties performed primarily in an indoor office, public area setting.
__________________________________________________________________For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, and copy/fax machines
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.