Golf Course Superintendent - Aurora Hills Golf Course
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Hiring range for this position is $65,922 - $82,397/annually
Full salary range for this position is $65,922 - $98,872/annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Manages and directs all aspects of golf maintenance for golf course including:
- Routine maintenance, project management, and problem resolution
- Plans, assigns, monitors, and coordinates the work activities of assigned crew
- Resolves problems and conflicts arising during work
- Prepares productivity and activity reports
- Makes presentations to committees/groups as needed
- Reports and investigates accidents
- Assists in preparing and recommending equipment specifications
- Maintains records on and makes recommendations concerning materials, manpower, and equipment used
- Maintains and enforces safety regulations and procedures
- Coordinates preventative maintenance programs
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to standards
- Manages a golf course program budget including expenditure planning, monitoring, and justification
- Responsible for the hiring, training, evaluating, and makes recommendations on the disciplining of assigned employees
- Supervises assigned employees
- Coordinates assigned snow removal activities
- Manages the monitoring and inspection of golf course construction projects
- Develops management and record-keeping methods
- Monitors turf grass irrigation requirements and schedules requiring irrigation operations
- Responds to customer complaints and issues
- Manages golf course environmental programs
- Manages numerous cultural and maintenance programs required to maintain specialized golf course turf grass including greens, tees, fairways, and rough
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates Degree in agronomy, horticulture, or a directly related field.
- At least 5 years' progressively responsible experience in golf course maintenance
- At least 2 year of supervisory or lead work experience.
- Certification by Golf Course Superintendent's Association of America (preferred).
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and operating procedures utilized in golf course maintenance including turf management, agronomy, fertilizers, irrigation systems; pump stations, and pest control; USGA Rules of Golf; and federal and state laws governing golf course maintenance activities, hazards, and safety practices common to golf course maintenance operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; prioritize, coordinate, and make work assignments; fulfill goals and objectives; direct and effectively train and supervise other employees; administer a budget; interpret soil, water, and plant pathology analysis reports; and operate a personal computer and related software.
- Strong interpersonal, fiscal, decision-making, and supervisory skills. Skill in operation of computer, operation of equipment and tools used in growing and maintaining turf grasses suitable for the game of golf.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
- Must be able to obtain a Colorado Department of Agriculture Qualified Supervisor Pesticide Applicator License within 12 months of employment.
- Valid Driver's license with good driving history.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to moderate physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds; some lifting, carrying; regular walking, and standing to inspect golf course; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents; hand/eye coordination for computer operation and of golf course maintenance equipment for training purposes; foot/eye coordination for operation of motor vehicles and golf carts; speech communication, and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to varying weather conditions, noise, fumes, chemicals, and dust.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
_____________________________________________________________________________FFor Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Personal computer; motor vehicle, and golf course maintenance equipment.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.