Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
The City of Aurora Fleet Department is looking for an experienced Heavy Equipment Mechanic to join it's growing team of dedicated and hardworking mechanics. This is a full time position with benefits.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This position performs maintenance, repair, and warranty inspections/preventative maintenance on a wide range of automotive, Heavy Trucks, Construction Equipment, and small and large turf equipment.
- Perform repair and maintenance on vehicles and equipment
- Inspect, diagnose and repair all automotive and equipment electronic and mechanical systems
- Perform diagnosis using electronic scanners, computer and vehicle/equipment tools and/or software
- Perform new unit prep and equipment installation
- Repair or rebuild component systems in automotive and specialized equipment
- Read complex electrical and hydraulic schematics using diagnostic flow charts
- Respond to emergency service calls
- Maintain vehicle history records, parts inventory records and daily labor
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 2 years progressively responsible experience as a mechanic in a related area with responsibility for a large mixed fleet. Experience with heavy equipment including fire apparatus is preferred.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Class A CDL must be obtained within 6 months.
- ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certifications required within one year.
Knowledge: Knowledge of a wide variety of electrical, hydraulic, pumping, fuel and mechanical systems; maintenance and repair tools and equipment; standard safety regulations and procedures associated with the assigned tasks; and standard computer systems and software applications.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; accurately diagnose, identify and repair related potential or existing problems; perform basic math computations; maintain related records; read and interpret detailed instructions and diagrams; provide and maintain necessary hand tools to perform the assigned tasks; perform assigned tasks in all weather conditions; and perform moderately strenuous activity.
Skills: Skill in the use of tools and equipment used in the performance of the assigned tasks.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds without assistance or 100 pounds with assistance; frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds; regular walking and standing; frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling; considerable eye/hand/foot coordination to operate tools and automotive equipment as well as for driving equipment and vehicles; vision to read manuals, gauges and meters; speech and hearing to receive and provide technical information and instructions.
Work Environment: Works in an automotive shop/yard with frequent time spent outdoors in all types of weather conditions; regular exposure to dust, noise and fumes related to automotive repair.
Equipment Used: Standard business and professional equipment and tools including computers with applicable diagnostic and records management applications. Drives vehicles and equipment in and out of shop; uses personal tools and equipment related to heavy equipment and vehicle repair.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans preferance: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.