Housing Rehabilitation Program Supervisor
- Summary of Job Duties
This is a re-posting of this position. If you have applied within the last 180 days your application will not be considered.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The mission of Neighborhood Services is to maintain community appearance and enhance the quality of life in Aurora's neighborhoods. This is accomplished through a combination of community outreach, code enforcement, animal services and numerous neighborhood improvement programs and services.
The Community Development activities target a wide range of issues, from basic needs such as the availability of affordable housing for families and individuals, to overall community quality of life issues such as the reduction or elimination of blighting influences in Original Aurora, which is the city's historical business and residential district. In addition, Community Development addresses economic opportunities within the community, the provision of support services for all residents, and the prevention of homelessness.
The City of Aurora is seeking a qualified Rehabilitation Program Supervisor who will perform supervisory and administrative work to direct and coordinate the work activities of personnel engaged in rehabilitation projects. This position oversees Community Development Housing and/or Commercial rehabilitation programs funded under CDBG and HOME federal programs.
APPLICATIONS REQUIRE A RESUME, COVER LETTER
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements housing and community development programs for housing rehabilitation and community revitalization
- Plans, assigns and coordinates work activities
- Resolves complex problems and conflicts arising during the course of work
- Maintains records on materials, manpower, and equipment used
- Coordinates daily staff activities including resolution of disputes with property owners and contractors
- Processes rehabilitation program applications
- Reviews and approves contracts and disbursement of funds
- Evaluates employee performance
- Enforces safety regulations and procedures
- Interviews prospective employees
- Makes recommendations regarding selection, promotion, and disciplinary action
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to standards
- Makes recommendations regarding budgetary matters
- Monitors expenditures
- May make verbal presentations to citizens and groups
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor Degree in construction management, business, management or other related field.
- At least 4 years' progressively responsible experience in construction management plus
- At least 2 years' supervisory experience
- At least 2 years' experience with federally funded programs HUD funded, CDBG, and HOME programs (preferred).
An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge: Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and operating procedures utilized in construction and rehabilitation of residential and commercial buildings; building codes; real estate financing; federally funded CDBG or HOME Grant programs and regulations.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; handle sensitive or stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; plan, organize, coordinate, and review the work of subordinates; read and interpret plans and specifications; prepare cost estimates.
Skills: Public Speaking; strong organizational skills; strong interpersonal skills.
Licenses, Certificates, and/or Equipment Required:
- Driver's License with a good driving history.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical Demands: Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing in conjunction with inspecting buildings and determining work scope; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents.
Work Environment: Works in a clean, comfortable environment.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment including multi-line telephones, computers, copier/fax machines, etc.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans preferences: Please show all of your employment history, military service and included related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.