Intern - Irrigation Assessor
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The Water Conservation Intern - Irrigation performs irrigation assessments and inspections for residential and large property customers; compiles data and creates written reports based on assessment findings; educates customers about outdoor water conservation best management practices; performs general garden and landscape maintenance functions; and may assist in general conservation projects. The candidate will be expected to work 40 hours per week mid-May through mid-August. Candidates have the option to work part-time through mid-September, however this is not required.
Applicants must be enrolled in a college program and must demonstrate 1 year of customer service experience.
Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. The values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the city of Aurora, we value integrity, respect, professionalism and customer service as those core values and we attribute those values to our success as an organization, both as an employer and a servant of the community. If you hold these same values, we welcome you to apply.
This position earns sick leave in accordance with the Healthy Families and Workplace Act.This is a Seasonal position that does NOT receive benefits.**This position is expected to be in service Mid-May through Mid-August**
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform physical inspection of irrigation systems
- Compile data to create detailed reports of inspection findings
- Interact and communicate directly with city of Aurora customers
- Analyze water use and consumption data
- Perform garden and landscape maintenance as needed
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or GED and currently enrolled in a college program.
- Interest in water conservation including horticulture, irrigation and landscape desired.
- Basic Microsoft Office programs knowledge. Experience in the operations of irrigation systems and efficient watering practices preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Keep and maintain accurate records
- Organize materials and equipment to accomplish tasks
- Ability to work the occasional weekend, as needed
- Skilled in the use of general tools, equipment, methods, and safety practices common to assigned functions.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals, record data, and monitor and observe instruments/gauges
- Hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals
- Speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees and citizens
- Some work indoors with primarily outdoor work that has exposure to all weather conditions, noise, and other environmental elements.
- Operates tools, equipment, and vehicles common to landscape maintenance and irrigation system repairs
- May utilize tablet and related software to record work and data points within garden.
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.