- Summary of Job Duties
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
Hiring pay for this position is $56,538/annually - $69,210/annually
Full salary range for this position is $56,538/annually - $81,883/annually
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications throughout the year; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Internal Auditor contributes to meaningful performance improvement through the execution risk-based audit engagements in partnership with city departments, divisions, functions or activities and fiduciary overview of entities engaged in city business. Our Office of the Internal Auditor is a partner with City Departments for meaningful performance improvement through the application of leading industry practices in a professional, collegial, team environment.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis. As soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and execute complete financial, operational, compliance and performance audits in accordance with accepted professional standards
- Define the objectives and scope of an audit
- Develop detailed audit plans, task statements, and methods which achieve audit objectives
- Plan work and execute steps necessary to collect data and document findings
- Collect relevant data through interviews, observations, transaction testing and other appropriate research methods working closely with staff and management to obtain accurate and complete information
- Use a variety of data analysis techniques and innovative approaches to analyze performance and identify areas for improvement
- Prepare and share formal clear, concise, accurate reports of audit findings and recommendations for meaningful performance improvement through written reports and face to face meetings
- Assess performance improvement through follow up reviews and evaluation of performance measures
- Conduct analyses of special situations and prepare reports
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or Public Administration
- At least four (4) years of public, internal, or government auditing experience
- Build working relationships with City staff and management through professionalism, facilitative communications, and constructive responses
- Work independently with limited supervision
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Perform audits and other assigned auditing services in accordance with professional standards
- Manage audit so that time is efficiently used, deadlines and budgets are met, and quality assurance standards are maintained
- Research, understand, interpret, and apply complex regulations and procedures
- Use standard audit techniques to obtain, analyze, and appraise data as a basis of providing an objective opinion on the performance of a government activity
- Prepare organized, accurate, and competent work papers ensuring that documentation clearly supports the conclusion regarding each audit objective
- Apply advanced analytical skills and knowledge to formulate effective solutions to audit findings and other opportunities for improvement
- Provide informative and sound recommendations to management
- Handle sensitive situations and maintain confidentiality
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Plan, organize, and supervise other professionals in gathering and analyzing data
- Maintain positive team relationships by demonstrating and supporting initiative, willingness to learn, flexibility, respect, cooperation, and commitment to the success of the Office of the Internal Auditor
- Supervise one or more auditors when functioning as an audit team leader
- Resolve work-related problems
- Review the accuracy and completeness of work performed by other team members
- Strong analytical skills and oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrable working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Working knowledge of Government Auditing Standards
- CPA, CIA or other related professional designations highly preferred
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work lifting no more than 20 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting and carrying of objects
- Some walking and standing
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and other written material
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer and 10-key calculator
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with department personnel.
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment
- initially this position will have the flexibility to work remotely
______________________________________________________________________For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Personal computer and calculator.
- This position may require the incumbent to regularly use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.