Irrigation Specialist - Parks O&M
- Summary of Job Duties
Hiring pay for this position is $24.00 - $27.00/hour
Full salary range for this position is $21.69 - $30.30/hour
It's an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and building our team of talented and valued employees. Here at the City of Aurora, we have a set of core beliefs that we use as a touchstone to help guide our decisions and growth, both as individuals and as an organization. We believe in Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service and we call these the Core 4. If you also share our values we welcome you to apply.
Parks, Recreation and Open Space is seeking motivated, positive people with a passion to learn and excel, people who want to give back and make a difference, people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating its future.
The position of Parks Irrigation Specialist supports the Parks, Recreation, and Open Space's vision of connecting with the community and being acknowledged as an essential service defining the quality of life in Aurora. When you join our team you will be able to employ your unique skills and passion to undertake important and meaningful work within the urban park's environment that is critical to the success of our department and to the City of Aurora as a whole.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- 2.5% increase on for CDL B License on hire
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The O&M Division will provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on irrigation equipment and systems
- Performs repairs on PVC pipe from a one-half inch up to and including six-inch pipe.
- Ability to make minor electrical repairs.
- Performs locates as needed
- Runs tests, troubleshoots and makes minor/major repairs
- Participates in the installation of material, equipment, and systems
- Performs field inspections
- Operates related computerized controls and monitors equipment
- Operates satellite controllers using Motorola radio system
- Performs irrigation programming with central irrigation control, maintains records of operation, maintenance, and repairs
- Maintains parts and supplies inventory and solicits bids for purchasing
- Assists in training other employees and acts in a supervisory capacity as needed
- Responds to inquiries from the public seeking direction and assistance after interpreting policies and procedures
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least 4 years of experience in maintenance, and at least one year of Irrigation experience.
- Experience to include mainline and lateral repairs, valve repair, electrical components, and radios.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of practices, procedures, equipment, and systems related to irrigation; reads blueprints; applicable safety practices and procedures; and of water conservation principles and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; read detailed instructions, diagrams, and schematics; maintain records and logs; organize, coordinate, and direct the work of others; able to complete repetitive lifting tasks; and perform activities common to assigned maintenance function.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment related to parks maintenance and irrigation construction functions; intermediate computer skills and related software applications.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Valid Drivers License with a good driving history
- Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes and tanker endorsement required within six months of employment.
- Sustainable Landscape Manager cert required within six months of employment.
- Certified Landscape Technician (Irrigation) required within six months of employment.
- Annual reuse water training cert required within six months of employment.
- Confined space cert required within six months of employment.
- Cross Connection Control and Backflow Prevention Device Tester Certifications within six months of employment.
- Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor (Preferred)
- May require additional licensing and/or certification appropriate to assigned function.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. cell phone, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon assigned function; may require ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds or 100 pounds with assistance, considerable walking and standing; frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles; vision to read manuals, record data, and monitor/observe instruments and gages; hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals; speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees and citizens.
Work Environment: Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions, noise, fumes, dust, and chemicals; work may be performed in a confined space; and able to work weekends When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
Equipment Used: Operates tools, equipment, and vehicles common to parks construction and maintenance; operates vehicles such as dump trucks, snowplows, tractors, and various specialized equipment (such as heavy and light loaders, backhoes, skid loaders, trenchers, and graders) used for park facility irrigation installation and maintenance; computers with related office and irrigation software; and computerized communication devices.
____________________________________________________________________________For Veterans preferences: Please show all of your employment history, military service and included related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.