IT Project Manager
- Summary of Job Duties
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
A TECH CULTURE DRIVEN BY PURPOSE
In the City of Aurora's IT department, we view business as an ecosystem rather than a competitive landscape. Our team exists with the sole purpose of serving our community and its constituents.
Our empathic culture helps us be mindful of the impact our day-to-day relationships can make on our ability to achieve our goals within the technology ecosystem we build and support.
Embracing different perspectives--in and out of the office--allows us to elevate the quality of our work and our culture as well as optimize the ways in which we deliver products and services.
The work we do is valued, important and rewarding; we strive to provide a work environment that listens to, understands and trusts its employees.
Our IT Department encourages employees to be:
- Transitional: Constantly adapting to new technologies and the changing needs of our city
- Dedicated: Committed to making the best decisions for our city, its citizens and the community
- Optimizing: By making the most of every resource we have available
- Empathic: In our ability to understand and have compassion for the feelings and needs of our citizens, customers and coworkers
MEET THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, organized, communicative, perceptive and accountable.
Our ideal candidate must demand attention to detail and quality in all aspects of project delivery. They must have strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to articulate and present complex, technical concepts and terms to a broad spectrum of employees and managers.
They have demonstrated an ability to develop and maintain the overall project vision and strategy while managing tactical details and activities. They are capable of using facilitation skills to achieve project progress per plan.
WHAT DOES THE POSITION ENTAIL?
This position manages projects by creating, coordinating, and successfully executing plans in support of business and technical initiatives for the Information Technology Department (ITPMO). The IT Project Manager assists with the evolution of the ITPMO's project management methodology and tools, mentor's others and acts as project management subject matter expert for IT Department staff.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice. **
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates and executes complex project plans and revises them as appropriate for project needs.
- Communicates important project related milestones, achievements and risks.
- Defines and manages projects of moderate to large scope. Usually manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Facilitates the gathering of project requirements and coordinates all project activities and tasks.
- Integrates subject matter expert input to develop project plans.
- Manages scope, schedule and cost within plan.
- Develops and proposes project estimates and work to meet project deadlines and milestones.
- Maintains and reports on project budget.
- Ensures proper coordination of resources per plan and notifies of needed resource assignments.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to accomplish project objectives.
- Facilitates the identification of risks and quality measurements and resolves and/or escalates project-related issues in a timely fashion.
- Tracks status and metrics on the project delivery and value; escalates to functional management upon identification of deviations (or potential deviations) from plan.
- Effectively manages communications, expectations, and interactions with all departments and internal stakeholders.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations on project status and selected project topics.
- Builds effective team relationships to synergistically accomplish goals.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Facilitates project governance and maintains project-management documentation.
- Contributes to departmental portfolio management practices as requested.
- Participates as a member of a project team.
- Partners with various managers to successfully implement projects.
- Consistently demonstrate and act in support of Core 4 directives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in computer or management science or a related field from an accredited college/university. MS degree preferred. **
- Minimum of 5 years' experience managing multiple technical projects, with a minimum of 3 to 5 years' experience leading technology projects that involved business process change, organizational change, and multiple large-scale technology components
- Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of project management fundamentals, process design, project estimation, budgeting, and ability to do project risk assessment and mitigation.
- Must be conversant with current project management methodologies, as well as the Systems Development Life Cycle (SLDC) for waterfall, Agile and hybrid approaches
- Must have a working knowledge of IT infrastructure, systems integration, vendor and purchase management
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification through Project Management Institute strongly preferred.
- Valid Colorado Driver's License - this position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) during their employment.
- Working Conditions
- Light physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds, including lifting 10 pounds overhead.
- Occasional carrying, walking and standing.
- Vision to analyze data and read and interpret reports, documents and other written information.
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard.
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Capable of driving between city supported buildings and to meetings in the Denver metro area as needed.
- Normally works in a clean, comfortable environment.
- System support issues may require working outside the office environment and in or around emergency response vehicles.
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment including computers, laptop computers and mobile computing devices.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Fingerprint Check and Employment References: As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.