Journeyman Electrical Specialist
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- Salary to be commensurate with experience.The hiring range for this position is $56,538.00 - $69,210.00 AnnuallyThe salary range for this position is $56,538.00 - $81,883.00 Annually
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water Department
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Daily duties include evaluating, diagnosing, troubleshoots, installs, alters, repairs and maintains both medium and low voltage systems from 120 volts to 13.8 kV. Equipment ranges from motors, generators, switchgear, motor controllers, transformers, wiring systems, lighting, electronic components, and other related equipment
- Prepares preliminary cost estimates for materials, supplies and equipment for proposed construction or renovation by working through vendors
- Manages and maintains accurate records and logs of the operation, repair and maintenance of electrical, mechanical and other related materials
- Develops and maintains schematic wiring diagrams for all electrical systems
- Weekly attends staff meetings, meetings with vendors and contractors
- Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently
- Works with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail along with maintaining a good working relationship with peers
- Responsible for maintaining and following uniform safety practices and procedures regarding electrical, mechanical and other maintenance related equipment in the Division
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of NFPA70E
- Working knowledge of NEC
- Four (4) years of experience as an industrial electrician
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Medium Voltage Experience
- OSHA 30
- NFPA70E Training
- In-depth technical & Electro-Mechanical knowledge & skills for repairing, servicing, and maintenance of electrical equipment, transformers, switchgear of voltage from 12 volts to 13,000 volts and other electrical apparatus related to the operation of water treatment plants and other related facilities.
- Working knowledge of computer systems, SCADA and interface equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of local and national electrical codes
- Knowledge of trade occupational hazards and appropriate precautionary safety procedures, particularly as they pertain to work on medium voltage electrical systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of Windows-based computer programs.
- Advanced skilled journeyman level skills for work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of both medium and low voltage electrical systems found in the water treatment and pumping facilities.
- Employees in this class perform skilled electrical repair tasks in accordance with standard practices of the electrical trade, including responsibility for performing the special work required for medium voltage electrical equipment and controls.
- Knowledge of the mechanical and operational aspects of water treatment equipment and its installation.
- Safely exercise sound judgment and initiative in resolving complex electrical, electro/mechanical and other maintenance related problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Skill in the use of windows-based programs.
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to anticipate and plan for expanded electrical needs.
- Ability to learn and adhere to City purchasing principles and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, the public and technical representatives.
- Ability and willingness to respond to emergency situations as identified by City Staff.
- Ability to evaluate and accomplish tasks in a manner consistent with Division goals and objectives.
- Ability to see and read blueprints, letters, numbers, words, characters, and symbols which are both large and small.
- Ability to correctly identify colors and hues, tints and shades of colors by sight.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- Must possess a Colorado Journeyman Electrical license
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon assigned function; may require the ability to lift a maximum of 100 pounds with or without assistance
- May lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing;
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing; hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals, technical diagrams and observe gauges and instruments
- Hearing/listening for electronic equipment and telephones
- Speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees and citizens.
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions, noise, fumes, and chemicals; work may be performed in a confined space.
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel._______________________________________________________________________
- Operates tools, equipment and vehicles common to electrical repairs and maintenance
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.