- Summary of Job Duties
The City of Aurora's Library and Cultural Services Department is looking for a Library Assistant - Youth Services to provide the highest level of customer service. This is a 40-hour position located at the Central Library location: 14949 E. Alameda Parkway, Aurora, CO 80012.
Work Schedule: Sunday - Thursday, 9 - 6 pm (either Monday or Tuesday will be 11 - 8 pm)
The selected individual must enjoy working with children and teens, and share our vision of providing quality programs and services to the youth (children and teens).
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The vision of the Library & Cultural Services Department is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community.
Please note that this list may also be used to fill other library assistant positions as they may come up for the next months.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis. As soon as we determine we have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides friendly, efficient and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Conducts general office/administrative/clerical tasks as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Performs high level reference searches using library resources, on-line databases and other reputable sources
- Develops, plans and conducts patron programs/classes on a wide range of topics (STEAM activities, crafts, book groups, Teen Advisory Group, etc.)
- Assists with outreach events that may include attending fairs/events representing the library at booths/tables, speaking to community groups or school children
- Makes suggestions/recommendations to patrons on books to read
- Creates and maintains displays, bulletin boards, and other merchandising efforts
- Experience planning and performing story times
- Assists with collection/inventory management duties that may include weeding, sorting, and shelving
- Assists customers with accessing and using library resources (books, databases, computers, etc.) and computer questions related to Microsoft Office products, internet navigation, email services, third party web sites and other software applications on public computers.
- Assists customers and helps develop protocol for e-book services, devices and trouble shooting
- Proactively ensures that library space is neat and organized (e.g furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly)
- Checks books/other items in and out through computerized system
- Answers general customer questions regarding library policy, procedures and customer accounts
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in library science, elementary education or a related field
- 1 year of customer service or library experience
The ideal candidates must possess:
- Enthusiasm, passion and patience working with children, teens and adults
- High sense of initiative and creativity and the ability to think of interesting ways to relate to children and teens
- Experience in outreach or similar activities
- Experience with developing and conducting classes and programs for children and teens
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- This job could be challenging at times, due to working in an environment that includes many distractions and interruptions
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies