Maintenance & Oper Worker (Traffic Signals)
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Public Works, Traffic Operations
Responsible for daily operation and maintenance of traffic control devices such as traffic signals, traffic control signs, and pavement markings.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The City of Aurora is hiring a Traffic Signals Worker who will perform manual labor and assist with routine maintenance, repair or installation tasks to support the functions of the Traffic Services Division of the Public Works Department.
- Assists in the installation, repair, and maintenance of traffic signals and other control devices including signal pole painting, signal lens washing, controller cabinet painting, and signal bulb changing.
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools related to traffic maintenance.
- Operates and works from aerial lift equipment at heights up to 50 feet.
- May be assigned duties such as traffic counting, shop and yard cleanup, equipment and material inventory and preventive maintenance work.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED.
- At least 1 year of related construction or manual labor experience. Prefer experience in traffic signals.
- No specialized knowledge required.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, outside and in all weather conditions
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate or receive training on various types of maintenance and construction equipment
- Work overtime and call back duty
- Skill in the use of maintenance tools and equipment.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
All selected candidates will be subject to the following pre-employment screening at the time of hire.
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record.
- Must obtain a Colorado Class B Commercial Driver's License and an ATSSA Safety certificate within six months of employment in the position.
- Motor Vehicle/CDL review
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening & Physical Exam
- Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon the assigned function
- May lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals and record data and monitor and observe instruments and gauges
- Hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals
- Speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees and citizens
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, street traffic and materials used in traffic maintenance such as paint and chemicals.
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to traffic maintenance.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies