Maintenance & Operations Supervisor - Streets
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
The City of Aurora Public Works department is seeking a Maintenance Supervisor to supervise, mentor, coach, teach, monitor, and coordinate the activities of skilled, semi-skilled and/or unskilled workers engaged in maintenance, repair or construction work.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, assigns, monitors and coordinates the work activities of assigned crew
- Resolves problems and conflicts arising during the course of the work
- Prepares productivity and activity reports
- Reports and investigates accidents
- Assists in preparing and recommending equipment specifications
- Maintains records on and makes recommendations concerning materials, manpower and equipment used
- Maintains and enforces safety regulations and procedures
- Coordinates preventive maintenance programs
- Inspects work in progress for conformance to general and EPA standards
- Makes recommendations regarding budgetary matters
- Makes recommendations regarding selection, hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining of assigned employees
- Supervises assigned employees
- Ensure compliance with department and city safety programs
- May coordinate with contractors on City projects
- Supervises and coordinates snow and ice control operations on various rotating shifts
- May perform additional duties, as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 4 years of progressively responsible experience in skilled street maintenance, repair or construction work
- At least 1 year of supervisory or lead work experience required
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment and operating procedures utilized in street construction and maintenance; City specifications for roadway construction; City of Aurora Street System/Snow and Ice Control Plan; and hazards and safety practices common to machinery and equipment used in street maintenance and construction.
- Ability to establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with employees and citizens; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; prioritize, coordinate, and make work assignments; fulfill goals and objectives; direct and effectively train (mentor, teach, and coach) and supervise other employees; ability to work overtime, standby and call back duty; and ability to respond to emergency call within 30 minutes.
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills. Skill in operation of equipment and tools related to street maintenance functions.
Licenses, Certificates Or Equipment Required:
- Colorado Class A Commercial Driver's License required with a good driving history
- This position will require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, etc.) in the course of their employment
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Light to moderate physical work depending on assigned function
- May require ability to lift 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- May perform activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing and crawling
- Considerable eye, hand, and foot coordination required to operate tools, equipment and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals, reports, and various written materials
- Speech and hearing to communicate technical information and instructions and provide/receive citizen and employee informattraion
- Works both in and outdoors with exposure to all types of weather conditions
- Regular exposure to dust, noise and fumes associated with equipment repair
- Standard business and professional equipment and tools including personal computers and related software
- May operate specialty vehicles and street/maintenance equipment associated with the function
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.