Maintenance & Operations Technician - Streets
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of Integrity, Respect,Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovative workspaces
** ALL APPLICANTS MUST HAVE A CLASS A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE ** Starting Pay CLASS A CDL License $22.18
Public Works, Street Operations
Improves and maintains our roadways, performs street sweeping and snow removal. They are seeking a skilled Streets Technician with a Class A CDL to do manual tasks such as operating trucks and equipment to maintain, construct and repair city streets and projects for the Public Works Department.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Public Works Department will provide uniforms after successful completion of your introductory period
- The Public Works Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (besides steel/safety toe boots)
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The City of Aurora Streets Technician will perform semi-skilled manual tasks and operate automotive and grounds or maintenance equipment to maintain, construct and repair City streets and projects for the Public Works Department.
- Shovels and tamps asphalt
- Loads and unloads tools
- Assists in the installation, repair, and maintenance of streets
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools, vehicles and equipment such as a jackhammer, single axle dump trucks with plow and sander, and water truck
- Performs snow removal activities
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Twelve (12) months of manual labor experience
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of practices and techniques of assigned maintenance function may be preferred
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, outside and in all weather conditions
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate various types of maintenance and construction equipment
- Lift a minimum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Ability to work overtime, standby and call back duty
- Ability to respond to an emergency call within 30 minutes
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Construction skills
- Skilled in the use of hand tools
- Skilled in the operation of construction equipment
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Class A CDL with a good driving record.
All selected candidates will be subject to the following pre-employment screening at the time of hire.
- Motor Vehicle/CDL review
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening & Physical Exam
- Submittal of a copy of your high school diploma or GED or official transcripts of the highest level of education completed
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Considerable walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, climbing
- Regular pushing, pulling, and bending
- Hand/eye and foot/eye coordination to operate mowing and other motorized equipment
- Hearing and listening for receiving and interpreting information and warning signals
- vision to read operating manuals and instructions to read operating manuals and instructions
- Works primarily outdoors in both hot and cold weather with exposure to noise, dust, fumes and chemicals
- Able to work in confined space
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays in emergency situations including snow removal
- Heavy equipment common to construction and maintenance
- Operates vehicles such as dump truck, tractors and/or forklift
- Operates hand tools and equipment common to custodial work
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.______________________________________________________________________
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.