Maintenance & Operations Worker - Streets Trainee
- Summary of Job Duties
- City of Aurora, ColoradoIt is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement?
Public Works, Street Operations
Improves and maintains our roadways, performs street sweeping and snow removal. They are seeking individuals to perform semi-skilled and unskilled manual tasks operating trucks and equipment to maintain, construct and repair city streets and projects for the Public Works Department.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
This is a temporary position and does not provide any benefits.
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Repair and maintenance of streets
- Loads and unloads tools
- Assists in snow removal in the city
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools, vehicles and equipment such as jackhammers, shovels, tampers.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Manual labor experience preferred
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
Licenses and Certifications: As assigned, specialized certifications may be required such as:
- Colorado drivers license with a good driving record.
- Ability to obtain Colorado Class B CDL within six months of employment with training provided by the City of Aurora.
All selected candidates will be subject to the following pre-employment screening at the time of hire.
- Motor Vehicle/CDL review
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening & Physical Exam
- Submittal of official transcripts of most relevant/highest level of education
- Working Conditions
- Frequent lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing; frequent pushing, pulling, bending, stooping/crouching and climbing
- Considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Some speech communication to give information
- Vision to read manuals and gauges and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in both hot and cold weather with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, and chemicals
- Able to work in confined space
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays in emergency situations including snow removal
- Operates hand tools and equipment common to construction and maintenance work
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.