Maintenance & Operations Worker (Traffic Signs & Markings Worker)
- Summary of Job Duties
Public Works, Traffic Operations
Responsible for daily operation and maintenance of traffic control devices such as traffic signals, traffic control signs, and pavement markings. They are hiring a Traffic Signs and Markings Worker who will perform manual labor and assist with routine maintenance, repair or installation tasks.
The City of Aurora is pleased to offer:
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) training
- Once an employee has successfully completed training, testing, and obtains their CDL, they will be eligible for a 2.5% increase to their base pay
- An annual bonus up to $500 (paid in December if eligibility criteria is met) for individuals whose job requirement is to maintain a CDL
- Additional advancement opportunities are available through Career Progressions and Promotions
- Training assistance through our online Learning Management System as well as a Tuition Assistance Program
- Boot (steel toe or other safety toe boots are required) allowance in the amount of $150.00 after successful completion of your introductory period and then yearly on your anniversary date
- The Public Works Department will provide uniforms after successful completion of your introductory period
- The Public Works Department will provide all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (besides steel/safety toe boots)
The City takes pride in seeing our employees succeed. Join us for a career, not just a job.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) training
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the installation of traffic control signs and pavement markings
- Performs manual operation of post drivers and post removers
- May operate pavement marking and surface grinding equipment
- Assembles and installs traffic control signs
- Inspects traffic signs
- Controls traffic through work zones
- Assists the street department with snow removal operations
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED
- At least one (1) year of related construction or manual labor experience
- Experience in traffic signs and markings preferred
- No specialized knowledge required
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, outside and in all weather conditions
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate or receive training on various types of maintenance and construction equipment
- Work overtime and call back duty
- Skill in the use of maintenance tools and equipment
Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving record
- Must obtain a Colorado Class B Commercial Driver's License and an ATSSA Safety certificate within six months of employment in the position
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon the assigned function
- May lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing
- Frequent performance of activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles
- Vision to read manuals and record data and monitor and observe instruments and gauges
- Hearing/listening for troubleshooting and warning signals
- Speech communication to provide technical information and communicate with employees and citizens
- Works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, street traffic and materials used in traffic maintenance such as paint and chemicals
- Operates equipment and vehicles common to traffic maintenance
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies