Maintenance Operations Worker - Parks Worker
- Summary of Job Duties
It's an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and building our team of talented and valued employees. Here at the City of Aurora we have a set of core beliefs that we use as a touchstone to help guide our decisions and growth, both as individuals and as an organization. We believe in Integrity, Respect, Professionalism and Customer Service and we call these the Core 4. If you also share our values we welcome you to apply.
Parks, Recreation and Open Space is seeking motivated, positive people with a passion to learn and excel, people who want to give back and make a difference, people who want to be at the heart of this City and have a hand in creating it's future.
The position of Parks Worker supports the Parks, Recreation and Open Space's vision of connecting with the community and being acknowledged as an essential service defining the quality of life in Aurora. When you join our team you will be able to employ your unique skills and passion to undertake important and meaningful work within the urban parks environment that is critical to the success of our department and to the City of Aurora as a whole.
**This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions and will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained. **
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance and/or operational activities in building streets, parks, or in assigned area of responsibility
- Maintaining grounds and facilities
- Performing routine custodial maintenance
- Operation and minor repair of equipment infrastructure, tools, and/or related items
- Operating motorized vehicles and equipment
- Entering data; preparing logs and records
- Maintaining an inventory of equipment and supplies
- Learns from and assists skilled workers in performing required activities
- Assists work crews in the installation, repair, and maintenance of parks, irrigation lines, parks facilities, and other City facilities and structures
- Clears limbs and branches
- Loads and unloads tools
- Maintains turf
- Plants flowers, trees, and shrubs
- Apply Mulch to shrub beds
- Apply top dressing to turf
- Fertilizes and aerates turf
- Operates, maintains, and performs preventative maintenance repairs on hand and power tools, vehicles, and equipment used for this function
- Assists with snow removal activities
- Coordinates and monitors assigned temporary employees
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- 12 months of manual labor experience
- Experience in landscape maintenance
Licenses and Certifications
- Driver's License and Current MVR
- Commercial Driver's License (Preferred) or Must be able to obtain within the first 6 months of hire.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 100 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, climbing
- Regular pushing, pulling, and bending
- Hand/eye and foot/eye coordination to operate mowing and other motorized equipment
- Hearing and listening for receiving and interpreting information and warning signals
- Vision to read operating manuals and instructions to read operating manuals and instructions
- Works both indoors and outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions; regular exposure to dust, noise, and chemicals
- Able to work in confined space
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays in emergency situations including snow removal
- Hand and power tools
- Mowers and tractors common to parks maintenance
- Heavy equipment common to construction and maintenance
- Operates vehicles such as dump truck, tractors and/or forklift
- Operates hand tools and equipment common to custodial work
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.