Maintenance Worker III
Overall Job Objective
- Summary of Job Duties
- The City of Aurora Forestry Division is seeking a skilled Small Tree Maintenance Worker to perform tree nursery and planting of new city trees.
This is a Contingent Full Time position
This position provides some Medical BenefitsThe Forestry Division of the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces department of the city of Aurora focuses on maintaining and planting trees throughout the city - otherwise known as the Urban Forest.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**Applicants must be at least 18 years old, due to the City's vehicle insurance requirements
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plants and waters new trees
- Structural pruning of young trees
- Maintains and develops tree nursery
- Grind out stumps in order to prepare for tree planting
- Using a mobile device to maintain GIS tree inventory
- Assists with tree trimming and removal operations
- Operates and maintains power tools and forestry equipment
- Assists in chemical application
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school Diploma or GED.
- 1 year of related manual labor experience, or training/certifications/coursework in arboricultural, landscaping, forestry, horticulture, environmental science, or natural resources management.
- Knowledge of methods and processes related to maintaining young trees.
- Knowledge of methods and processes to growing trees in containers and in the field
- Knowledge of collecting GIS tree inventory information
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens; perform manual labor for extended periods of time;
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate or receive training on various types of maintenance and construction equipment.
- Skilled in the use of maintenance equipment.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Heavy physical work requiring ability to frequently lift up to 50 pounds with or without assistance and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Considerable walking and standing; regular pushing, pulling and bending
- Some hand/eye and foot/eye coordination to operate motorized equipment
- Hearing and listening for receiving and interpreting information and warning signals.
- Regularly works outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions
- Regular exposure to dust, noise, and chemicals.
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, and holidays in emergency situations.
______________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Hand and power tools and equipment common to urban forestry maintenance as well as chain saws.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.