Manager of Community Development
- Summary of Job Duties
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
A CULTURE DRIVEN BY PURPOSE
In the City of Aurora's Neighborhood Services department, we view business as an ecosystem rather than a competitive landscape. Our team exists with the sole purpose of serving our community and its constituents.
Our empathic culture helps us be mindful of the impact our day-to-day relationships can make on our ability to achieve our goals within the community we build and support.
Embracing different perspectives--in and out of the office--allows us to elevate the quality of our work and our culture as well as optimize the ways in which we deliver products and services.
The work we do is valued, important and rewarding; we strive to provide a work environment that listens to, understands and trusts its employees.
Our Community Development Department encourages employees to be:
- Transitional: Constantly adapting to new technologies and the changing needs of our city
- Dedicated: Committed to making the best decisions for our city, its residents and the community
- Optimizing: By making the most of every resource we have available
- Empathic: In our ability to understand and have compassion for the feelings and needs of our residents, customers and coworkers
MEET THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal Manager is a self-starter, leader of leaders, organized, communicative, perceptive and accountable.
Our ideal Managers attention to detail and quality in all aspects of Community Development. They must have strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to articulate and present complex, technical concepts and terms to a broad spectrum of employees and managers. They have demonstrated an ability to develop and maintain the overall project vision and strategy while managing tactical details and activities. They are capable of using facilitation skills to achieve project progress per plan.
WHAT DOES THE POSITION ENTAIL?
This position manager the Community Development Divisional and will also direct the activities of the Community Development Team to include planning, acquiring, and allocation of federal funds for upgrading City neighborhoods and for the revitalization of CDBG target areas. This position reports to the Director of Neighborhood Services.
Please include a copy of the following:
- Drivers License
- Cover Letter
- Professional Writing Sample
**This posting is scheduled to close on Monday September 30, 2019 at 12:00 noon, however is subject to close at any time without prior notice. Thank you**
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WHAT ARE THE PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES?
WHY WORK FOR THE CITY OF AURORA?
- Designs, develops budgets, implements, and administers federally funded housing and community development programs
- Ensures grant compliance and prepares required progress and financial reports
- Coordinates the allocation of funds to eligible projects
- Allocates and plans federal funds and other grants of revitalization of target areas, and assists low to moderate income people with homeownership and home rehabilitation
- Serves as liaison to the Citizens Advisory Committee for Housing and Community Development and to the Commercial Loan and Grant Review Committee, as well as other community boards
- Writes and manages staff who writes applications for federal, state, and local grants including coordination of grant agreements
- Implements community development block grant programs
- Oversees the hiring, training, career development, evaluation and discipline of all division staff; supervises assigned employees
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away from many city locations
- Access to local fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in public administration, urban planning, or directly related field. Master's Degree preferred.
- At least 4 years' progressively responsible managerial/administrative experience in a community development program including experience in executing financial plans, federal grant management, or community planning.
- Must include at least 2 years' managerial experience.
- Knowledge of the process of grant applications; knowledge of the principles and practices of community development, urban planning, and economic development; knowledge of accounting principles.
- Ability to problem solve and apply common sense understanding to instructions is critical
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals and to write reports and meet reporting requirements
- Ability to lead an be an effective part of a team, with the public, management, fellow employees, volunteers, and other agencies and groups is essential
- Ability to manager a working budget and communicate business needs to management staff or council appointees.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens, managers, developers, and financing representatives; ability to supervise other employees; ability to prepare and administer budgets; ability to utilize word processing, database, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills; analytical, and organizational skills; skill in negotiating; skill in making written and oral presentations.
Licenses, Equipment and/or Certificates Required:
- Valid Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands: Sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents; hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer system.
Work Environment: Works in a clean, comfortable environment.________________________________________________________________________________
Equipment Used: Uses standard office equipment including a personal computer system.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, military service and include related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.